Hitachi 800 problem

General UK Railway Discussion and questions.
electra
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TRS2019 SP4
Trainz Build: 116678
Author KUID: 49712

Re: Hitachi 800 problem

Post by electra »

Mightyena wrote:I meann, I'm not sure how involved the mod is. It could well be that by the time they were done with C2C, they'd have required new heads anyway (they wear out through contact with the OHL don't they?), so save money by fitting the cheaper version when it's definitely not required, and swap to the more expensive, uprated one when they're due for replacement
The Carbon strips on the pan heads need replacing, as they wear. To be honest, I don't actually know what's required to make the pantos compliant with the GWML's wiring set up, so I can't comment on that.

What I can say is, it looks like GWR are looking at the IET fleet being at reduced numbers for some time, as there are rumours that some of the ex-GatEx 387s may also be heading that way, as well. However, as much as it would be nice to see it happen, I wouldn't build any hopes up of seeing HSTs back in Paddington; crews would require retraining on the type, since they're off the traction cards of most (if not all) those that work through to the capital).