Class 101 (And others) Project Thread.

General Trainz discussion and questions.
JBVector
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS22
Author KUID: 661805

Class 101 (And others) Project Thread.

Post by JBVector »

Hi, it's me, dundun92, from the main forums (Under my new username). I decided to post this over here because the community here is much more respectable than some of those on the main forum.

I made an announcement over a year ago that I was leaving content creation, but I have since decided to come back. I tried making US locomotives mostly, but this time around, I'm doing pure UK content because 1. UK content is lacking in-game, and 2. I happen to like UK stuff even though I'm American.
My first new project I've been working on is a Class 101. It's a relatively popular and simple to build locomotive, and I'm also hoping to get detailed original 101 diagrams from the UK National Railway Museum within a few weeks, and I plan on making a custom cab. I'm currently doing the class 101, but I would like your opinion on other locomotives you want to see in trainz (I'm trying to make content the UK community actually wants.

I have some skill in PBR texturing and have imported several assets into trainz with it, but I'm not the best. If anyone here is more skilled at PBR texturing and would be willing to help, please let me know.

Several questions:
I'm a bit rusty when it comes to scripting. Where can I find good tutorials on scripting work (primarily the couplers)?
What is the thickness of the 101 body walls?
Does anyone have more photos of the cab and the interior for the individual coaches? (I have some, but If I can get more, I should be able to start work on the cab and interior sooner)
Last edited by JBVector on Wed May 25, 2022 9:56 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Joseph, A.K.A. "dundun92"
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Re: Class 101 (and others) project

Post by PFX »

What a treat and thanks for taking this on. I think the 101 was mentioned as one of the items of stock sorely needing an update on another thread here. Your model looks excellent. Sadly I don't know anything about PBR textures or I'd jump at the chance to help with that.

If you haven't seen it already, there's a wealth of information on this site - https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-101/summary including modifications, diagrams and images.

In terms of other popular locos/units, and trying to cover a few different interests, I'd guess the Class 20, 25, 58, 305, and 86.
Cheers,
Innis
Last edited by PFX on Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
car112
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS19
Trainz Build: 116313
Author KUID: 533914

Post by car112 »

Much appreciation for you to take on these projects. Here’s a list of UK rolling stock that I recommend to be modeled/updated to TRS19 (Opening doors, changing headboards, etc.)

BR Class 501 (Watford DC Line/North London Line)
BR Class 302 (Great Eastern Main Line)
BR Class 304 (West Coast Main Line)
BR Class 305 (Great Eastern Main Line)
BR Class 306 (Great Eastern Main Line)
BR Class 307 (Great Eastern Main Line)
BR Class 308 (Great Eastern Main Line)
BR Class 309 (Great Eastern Main Line)
BR Class 310 (West Coast Main Line)
BR Class 312 (Great Eastern Main Line)
greeni
Past 750!
Trainz Version: TRAINZ22PE
Trainz Build: 123799
Author KUID: 174088

Post by greeni »

The class 101 looks brill.

Maybe ask admin if they can sort a voting for what's wanted and maybe you can see from that what you would like to do.

As sometimes you can open a can of worms with "I want this and that, and it has to have"
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

Good idea Greeni.
car112
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS19
Trainz Build: 116313
Author KUID: 533914

Post by car112 »

A splendid idea Greeni.
JBVector
Past 100!

Post by JBVector »

Thank you, Innis, for the information about the site. I am currently using blueprints from that site until I get complete drawings, but a link on site contains a whole bunch of information and pictures - Thanks for that.

A voting system is a wonderful idea, and I would appreciate that very much. Marky should be able to set something like that up?
Last edited by JBVector on Wed May 18, 2022 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

The Class 101 looks fantastic. What a great surprise. This unit has been a massive hole in the first generation DMU fleet. Thanks for doing that :-)

Does it tilt?................ ;)

Without sounding like a gimme pig, a Class 309 would be an excellent addition if you're considering another unit because there isn't one for Trainz at the moment - whereas some of others mention above are already available as older models and still look good to this day, or are currently being worked on (ie, the Class 310 / 312).

JBVector wrote:A voting system is a wonderful idea, and I would appreciate that very much. Marky should be able to set something like that up?
I should be able to set that up too. I guess the question is - what do you want the vote to include; Everything mentioned so far? Some things not already mentioned? Or do you want to see what all the suggestions are first and then whittle them down to what you would and wouldn't like to do or can and can't find enough info on - and then start the vote based from a cut-down final choices to determine the most popular choice in the vote?
JBVector
Past 100!

Post by JBVector »

The vote would include everything (so I guess it's really not a vote, more public opinion). I'll try to make pretty much anything the UK community wants (based on the vote), and I don't mind people asking me to consider making a locomotive. Whether or not I build it is dependent on how many other people want it as well. If a certain locomotive is too complicated, doesn't have sufficient drawings, or If I hate it that much, or if I deem a current one in trainz to be high quality enough, then I'll just void it and move on to the next one on the voting list. That 101 was built over the last 6 days (30 hours of work), so when I get a vote on others, I should be going through them pretty quickly If I can get texturing and scripting help). (All of this is freeware, because I have alot of spare time).
Last edited by JBVector on Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Class172
SOTM Moderator
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 94916
Author KUID: 485742

Post by Class172 »

Wow that looks an excellent start for the 101, well done. That would definitely fill a hole among the UK content.
Briggsy wrote:I should be able to set that up too. I guess the question is - what do you want the vote to include; Everything mentioned so far? Some things not already mentioned? Or do you want to see what all the suggestions are first and then whittle them down to what you would and wouldn't like to do or can and can't find enough info on - and then start the vote based from a cut-down final choices to determine the most popular choice in the vote?
Yeah any of us mods can add a poll to the thread. Given the plethora of potential options I think Briggsy’s suggestion of a shortlist of sorts would be sensible: doesn’t have to be that short and we can give the option for members to vote for multiple options.
JBVector
Past 100!

Post by JBVector »

Thanks for all the compliments. I Have made up my mind on how to do this. I have created a separate poll on google forums (where you can enter almost anything as long as it's in a certain format) with instructions there. To prevent people from spamming multiple votes, you must sign into google:
https://forms.gle/dJLr6a19aJUymnPCA
james73
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS2019
Trainz Build: 114800
Author KUID: 69518

Re: Class 101 project + Poll for what I should make next

Post by james73 »

Some pics found online of the interiors.

JBVector
Past 100!

Post by JBVector »

[Deleted]
JBVector
Past 100!

Post by JBVector »

[Deleted]
james73
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS2019
Trainz Build: 114800
Author KUID: 69518

Post by james73 »

Looks excellent. I was just about to post this, the 105 cab showing the attachment points.

I assume you'll be making a the TSL and/or TCL?