Graphical error on transparent textures

Support for technical issues with Trainz or CMP. (Errors, crashes, faults, problems, install help, etc...)
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Graphical error on transparent textures

Post by Mightyena »

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on how to fix this annoying graphical glitch.

I've just upgraded my GPU, from a GTX 1070 to an RX 6800, and now any textures with transparency are... dotty. On closer inspection, it appears to be because the transparency is being achieved by alternating grey opaque and transparent pixels, rather than just making all the pixels darker. This happens in both T:ANE and TRS19, so I'm hoping it's just some esoteric setting I need to adjust, and not some AMD nonsense I'm going to have to put up with.

Some screenshots of the issue:
In T:ANE:

With the 1070:

With the 6800

And in TRS19:

With the 1070:

With the 6800:
James M, creator of the
network
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Re: Graphical error on transparent textures

Post by clam1952 »

Things like that is why I avoid AMD GPUs, ;) Seems to be an issue on Macs with AMD GPUs that I've noticed on the N3V forum screenshots from some Mac users.

RX 6800, this is a guess but maybe try antialiasing and increase it to 8 if you can in either Trainz or whatever AMD software that card has.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

That's with antialiasing set to 8x in Trainz settings, in Radeon settings adjusting the antialiasing options doesn't seem to do much except reduce the framerate
James M, creator of the
network
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Are the windows using alphas? In which case they really need to be pure black and white TANE upward, if its an im mesh try using a colour black or dark grey should work and just adjust the opacity and dump the Alpha.
Another thought shaders may need to be on a higher setting if they are not or maybe a lower setting might fix it, probably mess something else up then though or maybe turn the post processing down to low in TRS19 / 22 or Off in TANE.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

They are using alphas yeah. I'll try switching to a solid colour with opacity (I actually started using alphas to avoid having to edit the mesh every time I wanted a different window tint), though manually editing over 1500 meshes is probably going to kill my desire to open the game for a while!

Shaders, in TRS19 I've tried both Standard (I usually run on standard because PBR textures wreak havoc on all my legacy routes) and Ultra, will try low and see what it makes of it.
James M, creator of the
network