re57k
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: 12
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 947449

BR Class 91 + Intercity 225 [may contain large images!]

Post by re57k »

Hello users of British Trainz,

After 2 years worth of collecting virtual dust, my favorite British locomotive is here.
CL91-ss-collage.png
It features speed-limiting functionality inspired by the real train, and I have done my absolute best that my 12 year old laptop can do. However, I want to be transparent and inform that that it is not yet ready for a DLS release.

There are a few things that I am currently working on refining and improving, such as:
  • 1. It currently lacks an interior. I plan to model one that uses the built-in controls found in Trainz, but I will try to have said speed-limiting functionality in the cab via custom scripting.
    2. The locomotive's braking capabilities are not entirely accurate and if anyone can point me to where I can find relevant information, please don't hesitate to reply.
    3. At this stage, the mod only has 1 livery. I have already designed the liveries, I just have to modify them to work on the exported Trainz model.
    4. Running numbers are not yet implemented.
If you have any suggestions, ideas, or questions regarding it, please feel free to share them in this forum thread. I have a lot of things to learn as a new content creator, and your input is very much appreciated.

Lastly, I want to extend my apologies in advance if it appears visually lacking or outdated. I'm working within the limitations of my current skills and hardware capabilities. Rest assured, I'm continuously learning and exploring ways to improve the it.

If everything goes according to plan, there should be an alpha version that you can test and provide feedback on within 36 hours of this post. I've also sent my locomotive to my friend who has TRS19, so there might be screenshots from him in this thread. Currently, I'm planning to do a GNER livery before the alpha release so that you can couple this loco with peterdhicks' Mk4 set.

Best regards,
Re57k
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by re57k on Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
The re in re57k stands for reverie. No idea why I had to shorten it but now you know.
NOTICE: Speed is limited to 25 mph due to overlapping track geometry
Spends too much time staring at polygons. I model using Blender. If you have any questions, feel free to ask/reply!
re57k
Milepost 3

Re: Class 91 / GEC Electra [may contain large images!]

Post by re57k »

I've got the GNER version in the game, however loading it to TRS19 would cause the body to have an X-Ray like effect, and would subsequently cause a crash.
trs19gner91problem.PNG
In content manager, it spews out a VE82 warning, but nothing indicates anything serious. If anyone has any pointers, then please let me know. The Intercity variant spawns relatively fine so I've got no clue why it would do this.
It most likely has something to do with the fact that it uses mesh-aliasing to reskin the content, but it appears fine in TS12 so I've got no clue as to why that causes the problem. I suspect that not including the normal map may have something to do with it?

I'm also planning to create 2 variants of the asset, one for TS12/TANE and one that's visually optimized for TRS19. The latter won't have PBR but hopefully it shouldn't appear as flat.

Meanwhile... here they are in TS12, hauling peterdhicks' MK4.
cl91gnercollage.png
Currently, I'll have to verify whether or not the GNER variant also breaks in TANE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The re in re57k stands for reverie. No idea why I had to shorten it but now you know.
Spends too much time staring at polygons. I model using Blender. If you have any questions, feel free to ask/reply!
Kylelennard2
New Starter
Trainz Version: 2019
Trainz Build: 117026

Post by Kylelennard2 »

IMO I think it would make sense to do the mk4s to match your model as someone who came over from Train Simulator it would be cool to see a new IC225 as the Peterhicks one is not that easy to obtain nowadays. Keep up with the work on this and looking forward to future updates on this.
re57k
Milepost 3

Post by re57k »

Kylelennard2 wrote:IMO I think it would make sense to do the mk4s to match your model as someone who came over from Train Simulator it would be cool to see a new IC225 as the Peterhicks one is not that easy to obtain nowadays. Keep up with the work on this and looking forward to future updates on this.
Yes, I've been thinking of making the MK4s and I've also made a rough model.
MetCam-MK4-render-1.png
However, I'll be focusing on the Class 91 for now. The way I see it, it's better to have a finished loco but an unfinished rake of MK4s, rather than having everything in this sort of "half-baked" state where everything is complete and incomplete at the same time.

Currently I'm focusing on the cab interior, Enginespec, and running numbers.

There's a few ways I can do the running numbers, I can have them be a separate mesh that the asset can attach, or have them be included in the asset itself as part of the main body. The former allows for customizations, (hopefully) less download size and making it easier for me to update the asset as there's only 1 "base" asset that I need to update, but the latter is simpler and more straightforward to do, which reduces the chance of errors. I'll have to weigh my pros and cons for now.

Oh and as for the alpha test download... yeah I'll have to resolve the TRS19 bug AND make it palatable for TRS19 before I want this loco to have any form of public alpha testing, and that depends on when my friend is free as he's part of an amateur film crew.
re57k
Milepost 3

Post by re57k »

I was struggling quite a lot with how the interior roof should be built, but I was able to figure it out quite quickly.

Here's some preliminary renders. There's clearly still a lot to be done.
91cab-render-2.png
91cab-render-3.png
For those curious, the cab will be based off of the latest version of the cab, the ones with Alstoms' plate on the centre console. Which seems to have been done sometime between 2016 and 2020 I believe.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

This is a welcome development. I look forward to seeing your progress and thank you for producing such an iconic bit of rolling stock.

Innis
rowletmaster
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 0

Post by rowletmaster »

although right now its not ready to be uploaded to DLS, but it will be once it is fully done correct?
re57k
Milepost 3

Post by re57k »

rowletmaster wrote:although right now its not ready to be uploaded to DLS, but it will be once it is fully done correct?
Yes. There'll be multiple development stages before an actual DLS release, so that's still far in the future.

I won't be able to work on this for about a week, so in the meantime, have some new(er) renders of the cab.
91cab-render-4.png
91cab-render-5.png
Also, the TRS19 version is somewhat ready.
re57k
Milepost 3

Post by re57k »

Hello, it's me again back with another update.

I've managed to not only bring the remaining liveries into the game, but I've also successfully created a texture swapping script that works in Surveyor mode.
91r1_newliveries_collage.png
However, this set of liveries aren't finished yet. I've 5 more liveries I plan on making. The first 3 are what I would call "transitionary liveries."
They are:
  • 1. National Express in GNER blue.
    2. East Coast in GNER blue.
    3. Virgin Trains in East Coast silver.
    4. LNER in Virgin red.
    5. LNER in Intercity-inspired livery.
Hopefully with such an extensive library of liveries, you shouldn't need to take matters into your own hands and do everything by yourself. Reskins are welcomed of course however, with the way that I've set up the unwrap and everything, a dedicated reskinning kit is very much required. So much so that I highly recommend a vector graphics program AND a conventional bitmap image manipulating program.

Here's some extra pics in case any of you might be interested (Really, I'm just trying to find reasons to tease/show off :lol: )
91r1-nxec-collage.png
Pretend that I've the coaches in the correct colour scheme. If anything, this highlights the need for a new MK4.
91r1-ephx-collage.png
I don't think I'm operating them correctly, but oh well - it was fun hauling 600 Tonnes worth of cargo using a passenger loco.

For those of you interested, the route in question is a personally modified version of Project UK 0.27ce available on the DLS. My slight modifications consist of environmental changes and connecting otherwise unconnected pieces of track.
Giac425
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: TRS19
Author KUID: 857354

Post by Giac425 »

Looks fantastic!
This train has been delayed due to a high number of polys.
robd
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 122418
Author KUID: 345264

Post by robd »

Giac425 wrote:Looks fantastic!
I agree, it looks superb!

Rob.
rowletmaster
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 0

Post by rowletmaster »

Will you consider doing the current LNER oxford blood livery as well?
re57k
Milepost 3

Post by re57k »

Thank you for the kind words, everyone!
rowletmaster wrote:Will you consider doing the current LNER oxford blood livery as well?
Yes. that's on my livery to-do list. Along with these:
re57k wrote: However, this set of liveries aren't finished yet. I've 5 more liveries I plan on making. The first 3 are what I would call "transitionary liveries."
They are:
  • 1. National Express in GNER blue.
    2. East Coast in GNER blue.
    3. Virgin Trains in East Coast silver.
    4. LNER in Virgin red.
    5. LNER in Intercity-inspired livery.
Apologies for not posting an update on August 22nd and 26th. I tried to send out an update every 4 days, but this week didn't go according to plan.
I did however, made this:
MetCam-MK4-render-2.png
I was complaining the other day that there's no matching MK4 set to run, so I've decided to finish it early despite me saying that I'll finish the 91 before the MK4s. The MK4 in the picture is roughly a TSO coach.

I'm also trying to think how I'm supposed to do the ARNs because the Class 91 has had many different typefaces and placement for its running numbers.

If no drastic changes are needed, then the current version of the 91 will be uploaded by the 30th of August 2023. The reason why I'm delaying it so much is because TRS19 is very picky with what works and what doesn't, and I don't have TRS19, so I'll have to rely on others to ensure that everything works well.
re57k
Milepost 3

Re: BR Class 91 + Intercity 225 [may contain large images!]

Post by re57k »

Apologies for the delayed upload. I accidentally slept for 7 hours last night while waiting for Blender to complete its' thing.

You can download the file here.

Includes both TS12 and TRS19 version. The TS12 version has problematic shadows, sorry about that.
Includes all dependencies, except 2. One of them is on the DLS, and I believe the other one isn't. The missing dependency is an invisible interior asset and can be replaced with anything as there is no interior at this stage.

Also, moving forwards, I'll only be able to work on it during the weekends. Minor updates / renders / screenshots may be posted in between, but major updates will not be done on weekdays.

For information, both versions take up at least 270mb in Content Manager, however the CDP files themselves are about 25 MB big, and the ZIP is 52 MB big. This is because of the 6 included liveries in the loco.

Feedbacks can be posted here, however you can send them to my PM if you wish.
Last edited by re57k on Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bolivar
Milepost 5

Re: BR Class 91 + Intercity 225 [may contain large images!]

Post by bolivar »

Though unfinished, the potential end product is looking quite smart. The ability to change the pantograph height is a very welcome utility. The cab when installed will make all the difference. Are you creating a cab for the B end, also?
The ability to change the liveries is most appreciated. The texturing is high end.
The body still has some see through areas, as I am sure that you are aware of. The completed product is shaping up to be excellent. Thank you for your efforts.