Pantograph on AI (move if needed)

General Trainz discussion and questions.
RinseDC
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 801168

Pantograph on AI (move if needed)

Post by RinseDC »

Hello

I am unsure how to have the AI keep the Pantograph down on a multi-voltage UK EMU, does anyone have any idea how it is possible?
(I am making a route for personal use with 35kV OHLE and 750V 3rd Rail in a single station)
I am unsure if this should be in general, please inform me where it should be/move if it is in the wrong category

Thanks in advance
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Re: Pantograph on AI (move if needed)

Post by Mightyena »

Depending on how the train in question is set up, this may or may not be possible without a bunch of work.

If the train only has one pantograph, you can use a driver command like "Set Pantograph State" <kuid2:178892:80004:1> to raise the second pantograph. Because there is only one, the first pantograph lowers, but the second does not raise, because it doesn't exist. This is how I get my dual voltage EMUs to keep their pantographs down when running on 3rd rail.

This is the most likely scenario, as there are not many UK trains with multiple pantographs.

If the train has multiple pantographs, it gets more complicated, and will involve having to use invisible pantographs and the like.

Basically, TL:DR is that you can't have the AI run with the pantograph down, but you can trick it into looking like it's down by telling it to run with the rear pantograph raised instead of the front one, on trains that only have a front panto.
James M, creator of the
network
slenderman7676
Past 100!
Author KUID: 628458

Post by slenderman7676 »

Look at Klamberts class 319s you'll notice he makes a "pant deactivated" version of the MSO. Basically he makes the pantograph a fake one with no animations.
RinseDC
Milepost 3
Author KUID: 801168

Post by RinseDC »

Mightyena wrote:Depending on how the train in question is set up, this may or may not be possible without a bunch of work.

If the train only has one pantograph, you can use a driver command like "Set Pantograph State" <kuid2:178892:80004:1> to raise the second pantograph. Because there is only one, the first pantograph lowers, but the second does not raise, because it doesn't exist. This is how I get my dual voltage EMUs to keep their pantographs down when running on 3rd rail.

This is the most likely scenario, as there are not many UK trains with multiple pantographs.

If the train has multiple pantographs, it gets more complicated, and will involve having to use invisible pantographs and the like.

Basically, TL:DR is that you can't have the AI run with the pantograph down, but you can trick it into looking like it's down by telling it to run with the rear pantograph raised instead of the front one, on trains that only have a front panto.
aha, I'll try that!
slenderman7676 wrote:Look at Klamberts class 319s you'll notice he makes a "pant deactivated" version of the MSO. Basically he makes the pantograph a fake one with no animations.
Well yes, but my problem is mainly that the route I want to use them from has 3rd rail for all of the route and OHLE in the last station But I'll look for other units that are suitable for it
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

Yeah, depends on the EMU in question, but for the vast majority, the pantograph state command will do nicely. The only thing is when units sound different on DC vs AC, cause I don't think you can change engine sounds on the fly
James M, creator of the
network