Class 158 Info

General Trainz discussion and questions.
Dean_Forest
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TS12 + S&C

Re: Class 158 Info

Post by Dean_Forest »

I realise that I'm a little late to the party here as I seldom frequent this forum anymore but if you want any information or photographs of the TfW 158s then let me know so I can grab some photos next time I'm in work. I can't help much with the driving characteristics but I understand that the usual thing is to briefly put it into notch 1 to allow the transmission to fill before opening out to notch 7.

On the subject of door operation, when the train has stopped at a platform the guard will flick the local door switch (breaking the interlock so the light in the cab will extinguish, illuminating the yellow hazard light on that vehicle, illuminating the door open/close buttons on that door and on PRM-modified vehicles an audible alarm will sound at that door) and press the open door button. The local door will then open (could be any door but more likely to be the back one), the guard takes a look to see that the train is platformed before pressing the release buttons. The door open/close buttons will then illuminate at all doors, all hazard lights will illuminate and if the unit is PRM-modified the audible alarm will sound at each door.

All doors can then be opened by passengers. One thing which has always bugged me with Trainz is that all doors open simultaneously when in realty there will be minor discrepancies depending on how quick passengers are to open them so it would be good to have a split-second stagger. It really bugs me on slam door stock too.

When passengers have finished boarding/alighting, the guard will press the door close button on the panel. Hustle alarms sound at all except the local door (the hustle alarm on PRM-modified units is a different, louder one), the doors close. When the doors have closed the "open" alarm often sounds again at the local door before the guard resets the local door switch, closing the door immediately with no hustle alarm. as soon as the local door shuts interlock will be regained.
james73
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS2019
Trainz Build: 114800
Author KUID: 69518

Post by james73 »

Sorry for butting in, but these screenshots are from what??
These screen shots are affected by several other changes but as far as specular goes note the difference in the strength and colour of the specular on the water and the buildings in the background as well as on the rails and the roof of the train.

mod
mod
Marky7890
Site Admin
Trainz Build: 90945
Author KUID: 179051

Post by Marky7890 »

I have removed the recent posts unrelated to the creation of bj1888's Class 158s.

Please lets all keep this forum a friendly welcoming place.

Thanks all,
Mark
Trainz@Bristol18
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: 19
Trainz Build: 3

Post by Trainz@Bristol18 »

This 158 creation looks absolutely fantastic! When will the Pay ware be available? If you don't mind me asking?
bj1888
Milepost 1
Trainz Version: TANE

Post by bj1888 »

Dean_Forest wrote:I realise that I'm a little late to the party here as I seldom frequent this forum anymore but if you want any information or photographs of the TfW 158s then let me know so I can grab some photos next time I'm in work. I can't help much with the driving characteristics but I understand that the usual thing is to briefly put it into notch 1 to allow the transmission to fill before opening out to notch 7.

On the subject of door operation, when the train has stopped at a platform the guard will flick the local door switch (breaking the interlock so the light in the cab will extinguish, illuminating the yellow hazard light on that vehicle, illuminating the door open/close buttons on that door and on PRM-modified vehicles an audible alarm will sound at that door) and press the open door button. The local door will then open (could be any door but more likely to be the back one), the guard takes a look to see that the train is platformed before pressing the release buttons. The door open/close buttons will then illuminate at all doors, all hazard lights will illuminate and if the unit is PRM-modified the audible alarm will sound at each door.

All doors can then be opened by passengers. One thing which has always bugged me with Trainz is that all doors open simultaneously when in realty there will be minor discrepancies depending on how quick passengers are to open them so it would be good to have a split-second stagger. It really bugs me on slam door stock too.

When passengers have finished boarding/alighting, the guard will press the door close button on the panel. Hustle alarms sound at all except the local door (the hustle alarm on PRM-modified units is a different, louder one), the doors close. When the doors have closed the "open" alarm often sounds again at the local door before the guard resets the local door switch, closing the door immediately with no hustle alarm. as soon as the local door shuts interlock will be regained.
Hello Dean. First off big apologies for taking so long to respond to your post.

Any photos you can get me of the current TfW 158 would be really useful. I thought that one was still using the Arriva Trains Wales 2 tone livery, so that's another livery added to the list. :)

Some other areas I'm not sure about include:

The middle section of the under-frame/undercarriage (not sure of the proper term). I was watching a video of the train the other day and noticed a lot more detail there than I had thought there was.
The rear coupler. I think it's just the same as the front without the electronics connection box but I can't find any images of it.
All the little warning stickers and labels around the lower part of the train.
The exterior door control panel.
The far side of the cab interior.
The roof of the cab. Has it lights/vents etc. I have no idea.
The driver's seat.

So if you or anyone else can chip in with images that could shed some light on any of these areas that would be a big help.
Also I'm now doing the passenger interior as well so any pictures of the seat upholstery that could be used as a texture would be really useful.

I've managed to script in the delay with the transmission you mentioned although getting it to sound right isn't so easy. It's surprising how much of a difference it makes to the feel of the train when pulling away.
One thing I'm not sure about though is will this delay always happen when going from notch 0 regardless of train speed or does it only happen when going from a standing start?
and I'm assuming even if you don't pause in notch 1 for a couple of seconds the delay would have to occur anyway but would there be any side affect to doing that?

Also, that detail about the staggered door opening is something I would never have thought of and it will be a nice little touch to add if I can.

Thanks,
Brendan
bj1888
Milepost 1

Post by bj1888 »

james73 wrote:Sorry for butting in, but these screenshots are from what??
James, those screenshots are from an area around Glasgow Central Station. I had been making a route going from Glasgow Central to Motherwell/Hamilton (and beyond eventually) but I stopped working on it quite some time ago as there are just too many issues working with splines. The biggest problem is Glasgow Central and the tracks leading out of it are all above ground level and when you raise a spline the control circles become obscured by the track model. Then when you have several rows of track close together combined with lots of closely spaced junctions it quickly becomes unmanageable, especially when you consider adding catenary as well.

I have asked N3V on three separate occasions to look at this. The last time was in this post over at the n3v forums which describes the problem with a few screenshots from the route.
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthr ... ost1759212

Brendan
bj1888
Milepost 1

Post by bj1888 »

Mark, it's taken me a little longer than I thought it would to get this presentable.:)

Anyway, more apologies for not giving an update on this for so long but I haven't forgot about this folks. I've just been working on the passenger interior. I'm not actually sure if there's much interest in such a feature but I think it's a nice addition all the same.

Overall it is getting there. The main things to do now are proper LODs and all the liveries.

Brendan

Here's a couple of wip screenshots of the passenger interior.

Marky7890
Site Admin

Post by Marky7890 »

Wow, that interior looks amazing! :D I do like interiors, just sit back enjoy the scenery while AI drives you around.

Mark
evertrainz
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: TS 2012
Trainz Build: 3
Author KUID: 160471

Post by evertrainz »

Wow, that looks amazing!

As does the route - is it a WIP, if I may ask? The route looks detailed like something that may be out of DTG's train sim, if that makes sense.
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

The 158 interior looks superb :D

Track alterations on an existing route :
I've always found it easier to raise the ground up underneath to the required track level , complete the track layout . Create new layer for catenary and then lock track layer . Complete catenary then lock that layer and unlock track . Signal placement can be tricky sometimes under catenary so I simply turn off the visibility of the catenary layer and place signals , switching on and off the (catenary layer) visibility as I work along to avoid clashes with OHLE masts and gantries . I've even go further by placing the overhead gantry splines and or Headspans in another layer . Once complete I return the ground to original level having made notes if necessary of the original heights before starting to help .

Obviously easiest solution is to plan ahead and get all the track work done first followed by signals , speeds , platforms and catenary using layers where necessary , Then sort the scenery . At least you can have some trains running at that stage for some extra motivation ;)
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
gds
Milepost 7
Trainz Version: TS12/TANE
Author KUID: 181684

Post by gds »

Incredible work. Just shows the potential of the new Trainz engine.
paulper
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450
Author KUID: 148527

Post by paulper »

Crikey. Never seen an interior like it. Great work!
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

Looks fantastic!

Will you be doing a Central Trains version with dirty tables, wonky arm rest, 'I h8 Villa' etched into the back of a seat and chewing gum stuck to the carpet?
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

Briggsy wrote:Looks fantastic!

Will you be doing a Central Trains version with dirty tables, wonky arm rest, 'I h8 Villa' etched into the back of a seat and chewing gum stuck to the carpet?
:lol: ...and don't forget the big smelly "jobbie" blocking the toilet with loads of soggy toilet paper littering the floor to operate on late evening services :lol:

Cheers

Dave :D
Marky7890
Site Admin

Post by Marky7890 »

Briggsy wrote:Looks fantastic!

No "does it tilt" comment? Shocking :o :lol:

Mark