Farewell Berkshiretrainz Closure June 30th

General Trainz discussion and questions.
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Farewell Berkshiretrainz Closure June 30th

Post by klambert »

I've recieved communication from VistaPrint the company which owns Webs, stating I believe their intention to close all Webs.com services, of which Berkshiretrainz is hosted on from June 30th. Although the email is worded a bit vaguely stating:
This means we will be retiring Webs on June 30, 2021. With this change comes some important information you should be aware of:
If you have a free Webs site... you will no longer be able to edit or view the published version of your free website hosted with Webs as of June 30, 2021.
So I'm unsure if the website will remain searchable and viewable, but I won't be able to update or if the website will be nuked entirely. From this point on I will no longer be updating the site with any new content additions, however so users can continue accessing the Wessex Electric Nutter and Mightyena's content I have hosted, I'll be making a seperate thread soon on British Trainz with all the mediafire links of their content. (Thanks for the permission you two ;) )

I must admit; I'm not sorry to say goodbye to the website; recently, I've found it a chore to keep updated, espicially as many of the content links no longer work due to N3V removing the original TRS04 DLS, and the site also looks a bit dated. On numerous occasions in the past I've considered replacing the site with one from Wix or Weebly however at the moment, I have no intention of making a replacement site, I simply don't have enough time in my personal life anymore.

It is a bit of an end of an era, coming from a time when many content creators had their own websites, who remembers vsr.org.uk, UK Branchlines etc? It was made in very much that spirit, I wanted the site to be a UKBL equivelent for more modern image stuff of which I think was moderately successful. I can't believe I started the site 12 years ago! There wasn't much on it at the time, as this was a while before I got round to learning how to create content, being mostly an excuse for me to have a go at making a website, I remember the thrill of recieving a whole two visitors a day! Who were these visitors? what brought them to my website? As is usual with with most trainz newbies, I had grand visions of making the entire county of Berkshire's railway lines inspired by the sprawling Razorback Railway, such a grandiose vision required an equally grandiose website!

Needless to say it was doomed to failure, however I kept the name and wanted to keep a bit of Berkshire and South East focus, of which routes like CPRRA and Coley Branch came from. Although by 2013 traffic to the site picked up considerably as I started making more and more of my own content and started hosting WENs and Mightyenas content, since then traffic's been pretty steady and it's in this condition that I bid farewell to the site.
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
PerRock
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: TANE
Trainz Build: 3
Author KUID: 104609

Re: Farewell Berkshiretrainz Closure June 30th

Post by PerRock »

Interesting... there are a lot of Trainz content websites out there that are hosted on webs. It shall be interesting to see what they do.

peter
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

UKBL actually merged with TCWW, A couple of Creators are using TCWW's linked site, JATWS to host sites, such as Steve Flanders ING4Trainz and others are just using for downloads. Maybe talk to John Whelan?
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
rowletmaster
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 0

Post by rowletmaster »

wait so no more british trainz content then?
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

rowletmaster wrote:wait so no more british trainz content then?
Nothing to do with British Trainz, it's Berkshiretrainz.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
rowletmaster
Past 100!

Post by rowletmaster »

oh

guessing if we all gonna discuss about british trainz then its all back on trainz fourms then huh?
Marky7890
Site Admin
Trainz Version: TRS2019
Trainz Build: 90945
Author KUID: 179051

Post by Marky7890 »

rowletmaster wrote:oh

guessing if we all gonna discuss about british trainz then its all back on trainz fourms then huh?
The closure of BerkshireTrainz has nothing to do with British Trainz or this forum :)

Mark
rowletmaster
Past 100!

Post by rowletmaster »

Ohhhhhh thx goodness
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Post by klambert »

clam1952 wrote:UKBL actually merged with TCWW, A couple of Creators are using TCWW's linked site, JATWS to host sites, such as Steve Flanders ING4Trainz and others are just using for downloads. Maybe talk to John Whelan?
That sounds like an idea ...
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!