Advice on new PC

Support for technical issues with Trainz or CMP. (Errors, crashes, faults, problems, install help, etc...)
Jacks trainz
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS2022
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 672927

Advice on new PC

Post by Jacks trainz »

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at a new computer that I wish to run trainz 12 on. Here are the specs of the computer I'm looking at:

Intel i3 7th gen processor 3.9mhz
Nvidia 1050ti graphics card
8GB of RAM
1T storage

Will this computer be capable of running trainz 12?

Thanks in advance
blackwatch13
Past 500!
Trainz Version: TRS 2019
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 222042

Re: Advice on new PC

Post by blackwatch13 »

I would up the Intel processor to an i5 minimum & double the ram to 16GB
Tane SP3 build 94916 + SnC & Duchess
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

It'll run, probably fine. I had TS12 running okay on a Xeon E5450 (basically a Core 2 Quad Q9650) and GTX 570 so you'll definitely be able to play it.

That said, I'd think about going to either an i5 or 8th gen i3. The i3-7100 (I'm assuming from the description) is only a dual core at the end of the day, and while probably fine for TS12 (the old JET engine didn't really take advantage of more than 1 core) other more modern games will likely suffer.

Is there anything else you're looking to run on it? And are you likely to upgrade to T:ANE? If so, I'd definitely recommend a quad-core CPU and posibly a more powerful GPU, since T:ANE likes to eat as much GPU as it can

Also I'd look into maybe getting an SSD to boot Windows and store Trainz on. Seems to help lots with stuttering while loading in the world, as well as cutting down how long a database repair will take!
James M, creator of the
network
Jacks trainz
Past 100!

Post by Jacks trainz »

Thank you both for your replies.

For now I don't really have any ideas to upgrade to t:ane. I'm happy sticking with TS12. I don't intend to play any other games either. The only other use for the computer, would be for general things such as word processing and web surfing etc.

I will consider upping to an I5 processor just to give the system a little more guts for running trainz. I will also look at the idea suggested of getting an SSD if it will help with the performance, especially if it helps with those database repairs!

Once again thank you both for your advice

Regards Jack
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

No worries. As I say, That system should run TS12 fine, but getting the i3-7100 doesn't really make much sense when the i3-8100 costs almost the same, and is a true quad-core rather than a dual-core with hyperthreading. Unless you're getting the 7100 really cheap an i5-6xxx/7xxx or an i3-8xxx would be a far better buy

BTW can't recommend an SSD enough! I currently have mine holding just Windows and Trainz, Windows just flies - 11 seconds from off to login screen. About 15-20 seconds from off to sitting ready at the desktop! Definitely worth the investment!
James M, creator of the
network
Jacks trainz
Past 100!

Post by Jacks trainz »

I have discovered that for an extra £100 I can have the same system but with a i5 7400 processor. I think that is definitely worth me doing.
gds
Milepost 7
Trainz Version: TS12/TANE
Author KUID: 181684

Post by gds »

Jacks trainz wrote:I have discovered that for an extra £100 I can have the same system but with a i5 7400 processor. I think that is definitely worth me doing.
Definitely go for an SSD as well, makes such a huge difference to the speed of any PC it's a total no-brainer.
Jacks trainz
Past 100!

Post by Jacks trainz »

Since looking at the system I first posted about at the top of this thread, I have been searching around a bit to find the best deal for decent specs.

I've now been introduced to a DELL gaming laptop. Here are the specs :

Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ processor
RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 256 GB SSD
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050M 4 GB

I'm looking at now using this machine to run trainz 12. I did take note to this system having an SSD pre built in being a good thing.

The 8GB of ram can be increased to 32GB Max of instalable RAM. The price of this system is also only £650 which I thought was rather a good price.

Will this Gaming laptop be suitable for trainz 12 with a nice smooth game play?

Thanks in advance

Jack
gds
Milepost 7
Trainz Version: TS12/TANE
Author KUID: 181684

Post by gds »

Jacks trainz wrote:Since looking at the system I first posted about at the top of this thread, I have been searching around a bit to find the best deal for decent specs.

I've now been introduced to a DELL gaming laptop. Here are the specs :

Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ processor
RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 256 GB SSD
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050M 4 GB

I'm looking at now using this machine to run trainz 12. I did take note to this system having an SSD pre built in being a good thing.

The 8GB of ram can be increased to 32GB Max of instalable RAM. The price of this system is also only £650 which I thought was rather a good price.

Will this Gaming laptop be suitable for trainz 12 with a nice smooth game play?

Thanks in advance

Jack
Generally you will get a better desktop for the spec, but the portability will be useful

That should be decent enough as a mid range PC. It is at the lower end for TANE but sticking with 12 it should be okay. FPS will of course depend on the complexity of the routes you use and the resolution you run at.
Jacks trainz
Past 100!

Post by Jacks trainz »

Since looking at the laptop, I have discovered that it doesn't have a disc drive. I already have disk copies of trainz so therefore I'm going back to the desktop so I have the disc drive

The desktop I've gone back to is a zoostorm gaming system. Here's the specs:

I5 processor 3Ghz speed
Nvida gtx1050 ti GPU
8GB (add up 16gb installable RAM)

Thought this one would be better. Personally I do prefer desktops, and I only looked at the gaming laptop for the price with the specs. The PC I'm now looking at is on the market for £699 which I feel is rather reasonable. Of course I will need to sort out a monitor too which I believe I've sorted. Im looking at a gaming monitor that's got a high refresh rate that's just under a 150.

Thanks again for the advice

Jack
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Which i5 is that?

And what are the rest of the specs on that PC? Power supply, SSD/HDD etc

£699 seems reasonable for that, since PCs are pretty pricey at the moment, assuming all the components you haven't specified are of decent quality

Yep, generally for the same price, you will be able to get more powerful desktop than laptop, and the desktop should run cooler to boot

Also pairing a 1050ti with a 144Hz monitor seems like a waste, since the 1050ti can't really handle those high framerates. It is a budget, entry-level card after all. I'd save the money and pick a 60Hz monitor (again, unless you're somehow getting a 144Hz for the price of a 60Hz. Even then though, i'd be asking myself what the catch is...).
James M, creator of the
network
Jacks trainz
Past 100!

Post by Jacks trainz »

Zoostorm Voyager I5:

I5-7400.
Processor speed 3GHz.
8GB RAM :idea:
1TB HDD storage..
NVIDIA GTX 10 series GTX 1050 ti with 4GB memory.
Microsoft Windows 10.
350W Power Supply
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Sounds okay to me, although if you can stretch to an SSD it'd make a world of difference
James M, creator of the
network
Jacks trainz
Past 100!

Post by Jacks trainz »

Will definitely consider the SSD!

Thanks for the advice

Regards Jack