upgrading versions

Support for technical issues with Trainz or CMP. (Errors, crashes, faults, problems, install help, etc...)
RinseDC
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 801168

upgrading versions

Post by RinseDC »

Hi all
I am wondering if there's a quick way to upgrade from T:ANE to TRS2019 while keeping all the assets you already have installed under T:ANE?
I just bought TRS2019 but I don't want to risk losing assets like I have had happen before

Thanks in advance
ScottAS2
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE
Trainz Build: 95078
Author KUID: 306203

Re: upgrading versions

Post by ScottAS2 »

RinseDC wrote:I am wondering if there's a quick way to upgrade from T:ANE to TRS2019 while keeping all the assets you already have installed under T:ANE?
I just bought TRS2019 but I don't want to risk losing assets like I have had happen before
There's no way to automatically move your content from TANE to TRS19. You'll need to re-download it or export it from TANE as a CDP and re-import it into TRS19. To look on the bright side, that does mean that TANE won't go away when you install TRS19, so you can still go back to it to dig stuff out if you find you're missing it. I suppose you could also try exporting one huge CDP from TANE with everything in it (or at least everything not on the DLS), but that might take a while - I haven't actually tried it, because TANE's still my primary copy of Trainz; I'm still repulsed by TRS19's new UI.
RinseDC
Milepost 3
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 801168

Post by RinseDC »

ScottAS2 wrote:
RinseDC wrote:I am wondering if there's a quick way to upgrade from T:ANE to TRS2019 while keeping all the assets you already have installed under T:ANE?
There's no way to automatically move your content from TANE to TRS19. You'll need to re-download it or export it from TANE as a CDP and re-import it into TRS19. To look on the bright side, that does mean that TANE won't go away when you install TRS19, so you can still go back to it to dig stuff out if you find you're missing it. I suppose you could also try exporting one huge CDP from TANE with everything in it (or at least everything not on the DLS), but that might take a while - I haven't actually tried it, because TANE's still my primary copy of Trainz; I'm still repulsed by TRS19's new UI.
I have found a slightly dodgy way that took some time but worked quite easily but could've gone horribly wrong:
I first made a new map where I moved the T:ANE asset folder to (more like copy, to be precise)
I then got trs2019 to use T:ANE's old asset folder temporarily as it's asset folder (that's the dodgy part as that could've been a disaster)
Then de-installing T:ANE and letting TRS2019 use another folder that becomes it's permanent place
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

Do you mean you just pointed TRS19 at T:ANE's userdata folder? If so that can work, but is a great way to introduce faulty assets due to replacing a bunch of TRS19 stuff with older TANE versions.

What you can do, is either export everything with content manager, or simply tell TRS19's content manager to import a folder, and point it at T:ANE's userdata\original folder. "Original" stores everything locally modified, so routes and assets you've made. "Local" stores everything you've downloaded from the DLS. You don't want to blindly copy this across as everything in here can and should be downloaded again using CM, to avoid things like the green squares of doom
James M, creator of the
network
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

First repair the Database in TANE before doing anything.
Pointing at the Userdata folder will get you in a mess as it will add the TANE packages (payware) which are not compatible with TRS19 plus and now not all TANE items are in the correct format for TRS19 plus all the .tdx files backups preferences, cache backups etc will be in TANE format. And you can not use the same database for TANE and TRS19, you will end up with two screwed up installs and a confused database.

Importing the userdata folder will take longer while it ignores everything that isn't an asset and IMO doesn't work very well anyway and you will have a lot of missing and broken stuff as they were installed for TANE not TRS19.

Probably easiest is physically copying the Local and Original folders into the correct place for TRS19 and running a full Database repair.

Safest IMO with less problems and the method I use is.
Exclude faulty assets which you do not need to import as it will just cause problems.
Open for edit everything that isn't built in or Payware in TANE
Import the TANE's editing folder to TRS19, which installs everything properly.
Run a full database repair, that works for me. Hold down Ctrl when clicking rebuild database.

You may with any method get things that are showing as faulty or have missing assets and or routes may appear to be broken, that's because Windows will still be doing it's disk caching after the Database repair has finished, check with Resource Manager for disk activity on the disk your user data is installed on, also exclude the userdata folder from any on access scanning from Defender or whatever AV you are using as that may well be scanning every single file. Don't try doing anything with TRS19 until the disk activity has stopped. May take a longish time if you have a lot of assets.

You can't import builtins or Payware as they are locked and will just create a lot of errors. Payware you will have to reinstall using the Content Store, builtins from TANE that are missing are available from the Content Store.
First run of any route will be a problem until the route has fully cached, load, wait for the caching to complete then close and start again, usually avoids any issues rather than trying to run a route or use surveyor while things are being cached and being faced with no track or trees etc as they haven't cached yet!
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/