Post by PFX »

Sounds about right.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Re: Central Scotland - Edinburgh - Glasgow - Dunblane

Post by PFX »

I've uploaded a short video from Winchburgh Junction to Ratho Station on board a Class 170. Anyone familiar with the line should, I hope, be able to recognise the main elements of the route. What it also unfortunately shows up, are the failings of Trainz sound.

https://youtu.be/S2SYF63E2rQ
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Got very fed up working on urban areas so I've moved to the country again.

Been working in a few areas, mainly around Greenhills junction. With Allandale in the foreground, the Cumbernauld line is just behind, with the main Edinburgh Glasgow line in a shallow cutting further back.

PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Spent most of today adding textures which seemed to cover a lot of area until I zoom out... Still, the textured areas are starting to get closer to each other. Very, very slowly.

PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

I was looking back through this thread and saw the opportunity for a few before and after shots.

One of Carmuirs East.

Then Polmont.

PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

I can't remember if I've asked before or not, but given the apparent improvements to Surveyor 2 in TRS19, I'm pondering whether or not to continue this route in TANE or to transfer the whole thing to TRS19. I'm imagining there are several time saving features in Surveyor 2 and TRS19 (TurfFX) and I very much doubt I'll finish this route in TANE before support is withdrawn.

I'm happy to have any constructive feedback.
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

Personally, I don't have a preference, so if it makes things easier for you to build in TRS19 then I'd say do that!

I will say though that I never gotTranzDEM to work reliably in TRS19, the same route imported would have holes in the topography and/or texturing in TRS19, but look fine in TANE. Also despite being "compatible", opening a T:ANE or older route in TRS19 often results in a bunch of visual glitches (for example the Duchy Days route has a bunch of bridges that hug the terrain height instead of spanning the gap, and Klambert's CLL has some dighole weirdness, and some splines and objects that don't retain their height correctly between versions).
James M, creator of the
network
ScottAS2
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE
Trainz Build: 95078
Author KUID: 306203

Post by ScottAS2 »

PFX wrote:I can't remember if I've asked before or not, but given the apparent improvements to Surveyor 2 in TRS19, I'm pondering whether or not to continue this route in TANE or to transfer the whole thing to TRS19. I'm imagining there are several time saving features in Surveyor 2 and TRS19 (TurfFX) and I very much doubt I'll finish this route in TANE before support is withdrawn.
I'm comfortable with TANE in a way I'm not with TRS19 (mainly due to the new UI), but I felt that way about the Trainz Simulator 2/TANE transition as well and I eventually got over that. Perhaps this route could be what drags me, kicking and screaming, into TRS19. If TRS19 will make it easier and/or more enjoyable for you to build the route, I'd say go for it.
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

I've tried importing the route over to TRS19 and it appears to be successful, though missing quite a number of textures which must've been payware. I haven't used TRS19 beyond opening it to see if it worked, so it'll be a learning curve for me. I note that point blades don't appear to be moving on procedural track and there's an odd dark shadow over the near ground. Whether or not these are known issues or it's just a local problem, I can't say. I haven't really followed anything on TRS19.
Marky7890
Site Admin
Trainz Version: TRS2019
Trainz Build: 90945
Author KUID: 179051

Post by Marky7890 »

On the content store there should be a Assets from TANE pack or similar to that name, which may solve the missing textures problem, or you may need to download an additional route, which they are included in.

Mark
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Thanks Mark. Will have a look into that.

Didn't find it I'm afraid.
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Gone a bit quiet on this of late after life dealt a couple bum deals, but I'm still working away, albeit in TRS19 now. The downside of this is that there are some sizeable 'holes' in the textures and I've been unable to locate these despite Mark's advice. Once I fill these in, I'll get back to meaningful progress.
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Having already made Eastfield TMD using a cobbled together set of sheds, I discovered an actual Eastfield TMD on the DLS. Swapping them over meant a fairly major track renewal project but I completed it today and have started adding additional scenery to the area as shown in this WIP shot.

cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

Looking great as usual Innis. Your powers of perseverance are admirable, I must say. Urban areas can drain even the most determined among us. As for TS19, I haven't had much to do with it, or any Trainz stuff lately as you know, but even less with TS19 ever since its release. I'm a bit confused about some of the textures that seem to lower the ground fractionally as I paint them onto the surface whereas others don't. I also tried to port my Midland Mainline route across a while back and the result was an horrific mess so I turned away quickly and left well alone. My brain can't take it all in at the moment so I'll stick with T:ANE a while longer yet.

Keep up the good work though Innis. It'll be grand when it's done.

Cheers

Dave :D
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Thanks Dave. Yes, urban areas are a massive pain. I'm still getting used to some of the TRS19 features, finding stuff on the dropdowns and the ridiculous 'super zoom' being my main gripes. If TANE works, stick right there. I haven't noticed anything driving wise that improves on TANE, or TS whatever it was before that, and before that.

Cheers,
Innis