Windows 11 announced

For general hardware discussions. Including upgrade advice.
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Windows 11 announced

Post by Nexusdj »

Microsoft have announced a new version of its windows software "Windows 11" , No dates yet but the update will be free for current windows 10 users subject to your system meeting the required specifications .

BBC news article (other news providers are available ;) ) : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57598554
Microsoft page on windows 11 specs and requirements : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... ifications
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Re: Windows 11 announced

Post by clam1952 »

Watch the PC Health check MS are offering to check if your PC is compatible, its failing on TPM2 support for PCs that have it. Needs TPM enabling in the bios, if you have it! UFI and Secure boot enabling and CPM disabling before it works, however it's failing to detect it even though Windows says its running correctly, Paul Thurrott has stated it's not working properly and I'd guess he's likely to know what he's talking about. Pretty sure as it is an instant fail that the software isn't actually checking anything other than TPM.
Anything over 4 years old isn't likely to have TPM, may be able to get add-on modules for it, whatever we've got to October 2025 before Win10 is culled! If they don't sort out this TPM mess I will be forced to pack in Windows insider or buy a new motherboard and CPU.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

I had a look at the compatible processors chart and mine isn't listed so that will necessitate an upgrade / new PC at some stage but given the current mess with PC hardware at the moment then I can wait .
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

So I have 9 machines in my house. So far, One is compatible. Really MS?
James M, creator of the
network
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Initially 3 fails here one just on CPU others two on TPM and CPU.
Been thinking about an upgrade for some time as my i7 6700K rig is getting on a bit now although it still runs well.

Given that my Ryzen 5 1600 out performed the i7 on multicore bench marks and nearly equals it on single core, I've been considering a better Ryzen setup.
Anyway on investigating I found my Asus Prime B350 Plus, after a bios update will accept third generation Ryens, seemed like a cheaper way to upgrade, so checked a load of reviews and comparison sites for something that was better than the i7 without breaking the bank, found a Ryzen 7 3800X on special offer on Scan, cheaper than anywhere else, so I ordered it Saturday, due today but arrived yesterday just before lunch! 8 cores 16 threads and works well with TRS19, not that the CPU really matters other than not bottlenecking the GPU.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

Yeah my R5 3600 is the only CPU that will apparently work with it. Seems odd, that literal Atoms will run it "fine", but a 4790K? No, that's not good enough.
James M, creator of the
network