89001 'Badger' power testing

General UK Railway Discussion and questions.
evertrainz
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: TS 2012
Trainz Build: 3
Author KUID: 160471

89001 'Badger' power testing

Post by evertrainz »

Not sure it's been mentioned but it would certainly fit the era that this group is interested in - but 89001 Avocet has finally been taken to Soho TMD for a series of power testing after half a decade of restoration. A lot of electrical work was carried out, and it certainly looks smart in its original IC livery :)

Upon (fingers crossed) successful power testing, the loco will be fitted with GSM-R and OTMR, for which "some design work has already been carried out". I have never had a hand in the UK, and never had a hand in preservation - much less UK preservation :lol: - anyone know how long the fitting of these protection/comm. systems would take? Surely, if all is well we might expect to see Avocet on the mainline around Q3 next year for potential railtours?

Hopefully attention will turn to Roarer restoration after 89001 is up and running. The 81 and 85 are closest to operational condition, but their mainline futures are doubtful since it would require fitment of the modern systems. Probably not a cheap task considering these were never originally fitted - I have heard quotes around $15K to $20K to fit OTMR and GSM-R when planning to bring locomotives to the mainline. Add to that the remaining roarers' restoration needs, and 89001 would need to run a decent amount of railtours to generate revenue. If anyone would like to donate (obviously, much much more important things that donation money could go to in the world ATM), here is the link: https://www.aclocogroup.co.uk/index.php/join-us .

Preservation in general seems to be doing quite well - Baby Deltic reincarnation is moving swiftly as well (owing to its EE heritage), and I'm happy to see these projects take off.
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Re: 89001 'Badger' power testing

Post by klambert »

evertrainz wrote:
Preservation in general seems to be doing quite well - Baby Deltic reincarnation is moving swiftly as well (owing to its EE heritage), and I'm happy to see these projects take off.
Don't forget the LMS 10000 project is coming along nicely :lol: of which I may have played a small part in a few years ago, helped them out with some 3D visualisation work as well as designed their logo and some graphics stuff.
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Re: 89001 'Badger' power testing

Post by PFX »

The baby Deltic is easily the most interesting project at present. It's been fascinating seeing the progress made to date.

It's good to see 89 001 getting a new lease of life too; It's a great looking machine. While most people think of kettles when it comes to preservation, I think it's just important that some of the more modern rolling stock is preserved before it's gone. The place I volunteer has a couple of 'modern' DEMUs that were derided as preservation projects initially, but have subsequently found a good following.