Hitachi 800 problem

General UK Railway Discussion and questions.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Hitachi 800 problem

Post by clam1952 »

Ooops! High-speed rail services cancelled after cracks found in trains

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57036247
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
rowletmaster
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 0

Re: Hitachi 800 problem

Post by rowletmaster »

So....

For East Coast i am pretty sure they are fine they still got class 91s

For great western.. told them they shouldnt have retire the HSTs on mainline now they have no Intercity services

Hull trains... yea they are screwed

TransPennie(sorry if i spell wrong) they are pretty ok they still got Nova 2 and 3
pacerguy
Past 250!
Trainz Build: 0

Post by pacerguy »

probs someone from this forum trying to make them TILT :lol: :lol:
not dropping any names though :lol:
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

Oh dear too many eggs in one basket and there's bound to be cracks :lol:

Rumours and I say only rumours at the moment that multiple rolling stock operators have been contacted or offered help in sourcing stock to run some sort of service . GW seems from what I've read to be the worst affected . Could get interesting over the next few days for those that like loco haulage .
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Maybe they can borrow some of the many Steam locos that exist ;o)

GWR affected worst because they got them first...... apparently.

Hitachi should have stuck to making TV's.....
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran

Post by Nexusdj »

Latest Rumours , Truth , wibble ...

LSL loco+8 Paddington Plymouth and GWR 57's plus seated sleeper stock seem to be the ones not discounted by the wibble-ometer's at the moment .
GWR 387 EMU's through to Swindon from Paddington could be a thing from Tuesday pending the training up of Guards .

I think the only things steaming on GW tomorrow will be the kettles in the staff mess rooms , Is GW steam still passed for running out of Padd ?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E03eHFlWYAI ... ame=medium

Meanwhile AWC have sent some vomiters to GW to help out and replaced them with ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... e-57032174
electra
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TRS2019 SP4
Trainz Build: 116678
Author KUID: 49712

Post by electra »

Nexusdj wrote:LSL loco+8 Paddington Plymouth and GWR 57's plus seated sleeper stock seem to be the ones not discounted by the wibble-ometer's at the moment .
GWR 387 EMU's through to Swindon from Paddington could be a thing from Tuesday pending the training up of Guards.
LSL have sent a short rake of HST cars down to Laira (hauled by 37688) and C2C have offered up three of their units (summised to be 387s for GWR, given both run the same type).

EDIT: It's been confirmed that those 3 cl387s are for GWR, from tomorrow. I've also been told, tonight, that there are reports that 4 HST power cars are to be given an exam at Neville Hill and moved to GWR; presumably, to go with the short rake that was moved to Laira.

EDIT AGAIN: Also getting word, via Faceache, that Riviera have been asked to provide two rakes of mk2f stock (one which is ready and the other to be ready by Friday); traction to be discussed.
I think the only things steaming on GW tomorrow will be the kettles in the staff mess rooms
You should know, by now, the railway would grind to a halt (even the MDTR one) without tea brewing somewhere on the network :lol:
Meanwhile AWC have sent some vomiters to GW to help out and replaced them with ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... e-57032174
Should've just sent theie replacements down, instead; doubtless, some down that way still sign them :lol:
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran

Post by Nexusdj »

A class 387 is off on a jolly to Bristol Parkway tomorrow from Reading depot , under power !! https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/ ... 3/detailed
Post on WNXX says the 3 C2C 387's need a software update and a GWML compatible pantograph head fitting before they can be used ! The latter is a new one on me , learn something new everyday .
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

Software update makes sense, but needing special pantos to run on the GWML? That seems odd, unless for cheapness, the C2C ones are only fitted with a panto rated for 100mph? I don't think there's anywhere on the LTS that even exceeds ~75, is there?
James M, creator of the
network
Class172
SOTM Moderator
Trainz Build: 94916
Author KUID: 485742

Post by Class172 »

Mightyena wrote:Software update makes sense, but needing special pantos to run on the GWML? That seems odd, unless for cheapness, the C2C ones are only fitted with a panto rated for 100mph? I don't think there's anywhere on the LTS that even exceeds ~75, is there?
To shamelessly quote from the RailUK forums (here):
The C2C 387s have HSP MK1 heads fitted, GWR have HSP MK2 heads fitted so the MK2 are being fitted. (Don’t know the technicalities behind it)
Also the Pantograph over height settings will need adjusting to accommodate the higher OLE over the level crossing at Newbury.
electra
Past 250!

Post by electra »

You know what bemuses me? Apparently, the GatEx 387s are still coming across to the GN, to replace the 365s; when (doubtless) the LeaseCo - is it back to Eversholt; I can't remember(?!) - could, and probably would, offer up a short term contract, to permit them to stay and release those 387s to GWR! Doubtless, again, the dead hand of DafT at play; they're not the one carrying the blame for the shortages and cancellations at GWR, are they!
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran

Post by Nexusdj »

So I take it a version 2 pan can run under existing catenary as well as the newer series 1 on the GWML . I seem to remember now that they fitted a compatible pan to the DB 90 used to test the newly energised catenary on the GWML . I think that's the same 90 that's currently running around in the DATS test train on the MML . Now to muddy it further the newer electrified section on the MML uses the new unified series of catenary (uses parts from series 1 and 2) so does that require a version 2 pan or can both run on it ?? Makes you wonder if they start to electrify the connecting lines between these newly electrified mainlines (to benefit freight flows) whether all AC loco's will require a modified pan or is it just for those that can run above 100 mph ?

MML DATS test train https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcgJFyn999E
Class172
SOTM Moderator
Trainz Build: 94916
Author KUID: 485742

Post by Class172 »

I suspect it may be a combination of speed and multiple working. I think the 387s need to improved pantograph to be allowed to run at over 100mph and as 12 carriage sets. As a result the same limitation might not apply to electric locos. I’m not a rolling stock or electrification engineer so what I’ve said comes with the caveat that it may be garbage.
electra
Past 250!

Post by electra »

Mightyena wrote:That seems odd, unless for cheapness, the C2C ones are only fitted with a panto rated for 100mph? I don't think there's anywhere on the LTS that even exceeds ~75, is there?
And unusually short sighted for a RoSCo. C2C had always intended the 387/3s to be a stop gap; to cover until their order of 6 10 car Aventra units had arrived; so it’s not as if Porterbrook didn’t know they’d end up having to find a new lessee, sooner or later.
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

I meann, I'm not sure how involved the mod is. It could well be that by the time they were done with C2C, they'd have required new heads anyway (they wear out through contact with the OHL don't they?), so save money by fitting the cheaper version when it's definitely not required, and swap to the more expensive, uprated one when they're due for replacement
James M, creator of the
network