Platform Allocations

General UK Railway Discussion and questions.
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Platform Allocations

Post by Mightyena »

Hi there,
I have a small question about platform allocations for anyone with experience in such things, having sat down to build yet another AI session.

In the interest of being prototypical, how are platforms allocated? Say I have a 3 platform terminus, with a 2+1tph service (2tph from SWR, 1tph from Southern), with the schedules such that for SWR, the previous train has left before the next one arrives (the Southern service uses its own platform due to train length).

How would this be done prototypically? Given that the Southern service uses P1, Would the SWR trains typically only use P2 or P3? Would they alternate, or would it just be random?

Appreciate any advice anyone can give!
James M, creator of the
network
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Re: Platform Allocations

Post by klambert »

From memory when I used to live near Chester, which at the time had 4 operators, (Arriva, Northern, Virgin and Merseyrail) the platforms are allocated per service, operational requirements or length of train the platform can accomodate rather than specifically by TOCs. However there was some consistency, Platform 7 was usually Merseyrail due to it being the only electrified platform, They tended to stick Virgin services wherever there was room, in either Platform 1 3 or 4 and Arriva would use any available platform, Northern were kept strictly confined to Platform 5 and 6, I believe due to it being within the closest proximity to Hoole junction.

However from a terminus point of view I used to use Waterloo when commuting from uni, even though it's one operator, I think it's a good case study, due to most of the platforms being roughly equal lengths and there being no junctions in close proximity that'd require specific platforms. You would think services would be a bit more randomised, but that didn't seem to be the case, I remember my train back home; the Alton service would be reasonably consistent, in using either platform 8-9 or 15. Portsmouth services from 12-13, anything using the Reading lines, used 18 - 24, Strawberry Hill 1 - 2 etc, etc.
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
slenderman7676
Past 100!
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 628458

Post by slenderman7676 »

Then for Waterloo's platform allocations back before 2007 when Eurostar used to use the station. They were strictly allocated to using the dedicated platforms that were made for them due to both their length and security requirements.
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

klambert wrote:From memory when I used to live near Chester, which at the time had 4 operators, (Arriva, Northern, Virgin and Merseyrail) the platforms are allocated per service, operational requirements or length of train the platform can accomodate rather than specifically by TOCs. However there was some consistency, Platform 7 was usually Merseyrail due to it being the only electrified platform, They tended to stick Virgin services wherever there was room, in either Platform 1 3 or 4 and Arriva would use any available platform, Northern were kept strictly confined to Platform 5 and 6, I believe due to it being within the closest proximity to Hoole junction.

However from a terminus point of view I used to use Waterloo when commuting from uni, even though it's one operator, I think it's a good case study, due to most of the platforms being roughly equal lengths and there being no junctions in close proximity that'd require specific platforms. You would think services would be a bit more randomised, but that didn't seem to be the case, I remember my train back home; the Alton service would be reasonably consistent, in using either platform 8-9 or 15. Portsmouth services from 12-13, anything using the Reading lines, used 18 - 24, Strawberry Hill 1 - 2 etc, etc.
That's interesting, though Waterloo is quite different, in that it's a huge station where there's almost always something arriving or departing, which makes keeping platforms similar even if only to avoid confusing passengers a good idea. In this case, where there are only 2 platforms, and a train arrives, waits ~10m, then departs, and the station sits empty for ~20m before the next service arrives, it feels like it could go either way, but I didn't know if there was a convention.
James M, creator of the
network
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

Mightyena wrote: How would this be done prototypically?
Network Rail -
Data Architecture Reference module (Timetable planning) : https://www.networkrail.co.uk/wp-conten ... -Model.pdf
Station Capacity Planning Guidance : https://cdn.networkrail.co.uk/wp-conten ... idance.pdf
Station design principles : https://cdn.networkrail.co.uk/wp-conten ... ciples.pdf
Timetable Planning Rules TPR - https://www.networkrail.co.uk/industry- ... nal-rules/
The TPR regulate the standard timings between stations and junctions together with other matters enabling trains to be scheduled into the working timetable for the various parts of the main rail network
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Thank you, that looks... detailed! I'll have a pore through it and see what information I can extract. I currently have both SWR services using P2, leaving P3 free for any impromptu services I feel like adding in the future.
James M, creator of the
network
Class172
SOTM Moderator
Trainz Build: 94916
Author KUID: 485742

Post by Class172 »

Platforms allocations are often determined by either timetabling or infrastructure constraints, particularly at busier stations where planners which to maximise throughput and minimise occupancy times. As a result you’ll often see certain services consistently using the same platforms (ignoring any disruption). A good example would be Birmingham New St: very roughly speaking (as the layout is more complex and flexible than this) platforms 1-6 are used by services along the Stour Valley Line (Coventry-Wolverhampton axis) whereas platforms 7-12 are used by services on the SW-NE axis — this is an example of an infrastructure constraint. Within this Cross-City services almost exclusively use platforms 8 and 11 for their northbound/southbound services — this ensures that these platforms are efficiently used but also provide a consistent experience for passengers.

I imagine these points and more are covered in the documents that Nexusdj has kindly linked.
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Post by klambert »

Regarding small termini, Alton maybe a useful case study for you, it's a 3 platform terminus, 1 and 2 are used by SWR Waterloo trains, meanwhile platform 3 is exclusively for Mid Hants Line trains. The operation is usually the following; a train from Waterloo would arrive at Platform 1, where it would lay over for half an hour, shortly before it departs, another train from Waterloo would arrive into Platform 2, where this would then lay over for half an hour, until another train arrives into platform 1 and the cycle starts over.

Although it maybe worth noting that this method of operation is because the line from Alton to Bentley is single track, so one train can't leave the station until another is out of the section, although this method is also used at stations with a double track, yet a high frequency service, such as LU termini stations
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
RowanTrodd
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: TS12

Post by RowanTrodd »

Weymouth might be a handy case study, it too is a 3 platform with two operators (SWR and GWR). Generally, platform 1 is used by GWR services (not quite 1tph, but the irregularity of the service is interesting). Platforms 2 and 3 (island) are twice the length and thus can serve 4 class 444 EMUs. During the main part of the day, the platform allocation is simple semi-fast Waterloo services and fast Waterloo services each use just one platform, but in the early morning and late evenings, there can be some variation as extra stock is stabled there.

On summer Saturdays, railtours and "The Weymouth Wizard" visit; which make allocation a bit more interesting. Railtours tend to go into P2 to use the ground frame for running around through P1. In the meantime, other services must share P3 (which as explained above, can double-stack). The Weymouth Wizard used to primarily be operated by an HST and has to use P2 or P3 due to length. This saw the rare-ish instance of SWR services using P1, which is only just long enough for a 444 unit.

It is worth noting that there is a pair of primary sidings and a third storing siding which can be used to reduce clutter (on Sundays a 'spare' GWR unit is stabled here for the Monday morning peak). In terms of getting the most realism out of your route's timetable, it's worth noting the dwell times of terminating trains; most SWR long distance services wait at least 20minutes or more (on hourly timetables). This is to allow delays on the long distance services to be mitigated - during severe delays fast services stop short, leaving the semi-fasts to run a skeleton service until time is recovered. At Weymouth, the dwell time of the GWR services can be short in the peaks, but may be more than an hour at other times. For some branch line termini, this dwell time can be very short - such as the St Ives Branch in Cornwall or the Lymington Branch in Hampshire, so that the service can keep to a clockface half hourly schedule. The short dwell times for these is justified as the branches don't have as many variables to introduce delays and only have 1 train in operation.
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

Class172 wrote:Platforms allocations are often determined by either timetabling or infrastructure constraints, particularly at busier stations where planners which to maximise throughput and minimise occupancy times. As a result you’ll often see certain services consistently using the same platforms (ignoring any disruption). A good example would be Birmingham New St: very roughly speaking (as the layout is more complex and flexible than this) platforms 1-6 are used by services along the Stour Valley Line (Coventry-Wolverhampton axis) whereas platforms 7-12 are used by services on the SW-NE axis — this is an example of an infrastructure constraint. Within this Cross-City services almost exclusively use platforms 8 and 11 for their northbound/southbound services — this ensures that these platforms are efficiently used but also provide a consistent experience for passengers.

I imagine these points and more are covered in the documents that Nexusdj has kindly linked.
CrossCountry seem to be the odd-ball operator when it comes to platforms at New Street. Their services seem to use any platform these days.

Years ago, they used to stick to platforms 7-12 - but now, they use anything.

My sister caught a train to Bristol last year to see her friend - and she asked me what platform it was likely to leave from. I said "it'll be one of the higher numbered platforms - probably 9, 10 or 11".

It left from Platform One - and left from the southern end of the station (presumably going via the Camp Hill line). I've known that to happen quite often since.