A new career

fudginator
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE SP4
Trainz Build: 105766

A new career

Post by fudginator »

Hi All,
So today I became the holder of a PSV licence ready to start my new job as a driver for GoBus Cornwall. I obtained my car licence, HGV 1,2,3 whilst in the forces during the 80's and 90's and my bike licence in civvy street, so now I have the full set as it were. Obviously as a kid I always wanted to be a train driver, so I suppose this is the next best thing. Route learning now in these nice shiny buses for me.....

Oh by the way. I always loved the Leyland National Mk1 as a kid, so if anyone has one parked up, I would love to take it for a spin ;)
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Re: A new career

Post by PFX »

Excellent! I started down that route in the 90s but (mistakenly) decided driving a desk would be better just prior to starting the PSV section of training.
ricky25
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE/19/22
Trainz Build: 119451
Author KUID: 238689

Post by ricky25 »

fudginator wrote:Hi All,
So today I became the holder of a PSV licence ready to start my new job as a driver for GoBus Cornwall. I obtained my car licence, HGV 1,2,3 whilst in the forces during the 80's and 90's and my bike licence in civvy street, so now I have the full set as it were. Obviously as a kid I always wanted to be a train driver, so I suppose this is the next best thing. Route learning now in these nice shiny buses for me.....
(pics removed)

Oh by the way. I always loved the Leyland National Mk1 as a kid, so if anyone has one parked up, I would love to take it for a spin ;)
Ah you have joined us drivers. Welcome to you and may your career be long and fruitful. I am on my 22nd year myself and currently work for First Bus.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

You fellers would be amazed by how many train drivers (during my railway days anyway) were "bus spotters" and/or who actually held PSV licences. Some even worked part time for local Coach Companies or volunteered to drive for Bus Preservation Groups. We had a few bus trips on preserved buses from New Street for various events - funerals, birthdays etc. Two that stand out for me were a tour of "The Black Country" on an old preserved red London bus for one chap's 40th birthday and then we went to the funeral of a much loved colleague on a preserved West Midlands bus (which caused absolute confusion amongst potential local customers whenever we stopped anywhere near a bus stop in slow traffic.) Of course, our own "passengers," strangely enough, always seemed to be somewhat worse for wear on the return journey from these events :o . Must've been the fumes, perhaps ;)

Dave