Assets by Genesteal (LaFrance En Trains) now made F2D

General discussion about foreign content.
ArnieH101
New Starter
Trainz Version: TANE
Trainz Build: 4

Assets by Genesteal (LaFrance En Trains) now made F2D

Post by ArnieH101 »

Hi. Thanks for letting me into this forum. I'm here to spread the word that assets created by the user Genesteal are now all under a CC-BY-NC license this basically means they are free to distribute as long as the terms of the CC-BY-NC licence are obeyed. Which in a nutshell means that he needs to be credited and you can't charge for it. For those who don't know who he is then he is a retired French content creator who made French content for Trainz including many TGVs including one which saw use in England, the TMST. When I first saw the news I was amazed and wanted to help spread it around.

Here is the source of my information: https://www.trainz.de/forum/thread/1143 ... nt-by-use/
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Re: Assets by Genesteal (LaFrance En Trains) now made F2D

Post by Nexusdj »

Welcome to the forum :D
That's superb news , I'll hopefully be able get hold of the content that I missed out on . Got a couple of French routes with missing Genesteal dependencies :D
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
slenderman7676
Past 100!
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Author KUID: 628458

Post by slenderman7676 »

Same here Dave. The main thing I can't wait to get my hands on will be that Eurostar. :D
ScottAS2
Past 100!
Trainz Build: 95078
Author KUID: 306203

Post by ScottAS2 »

This is fantastic news. I bought their TGVs and they're top notch. Just the other week I was looking for a couple of French items and was disappointed to see that they only seemed to have been made by La France en Trains. Now there is hope after all.
slenderman7676
Past 100!
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Author KUID: 628458

Post by slenderman7676 »

ScottAS2 wrote:This is fantastic news. I bought their TGVs and they're top notch. Just the other week I was looking for a couple of French items and was disappointed to see that they only seemed to have been made by La France en Trains. Now there is hope after all.
By any chance do you have the Eurostar then?
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

As it stands there is nothing of Genesteals old content to download , The website owners are waiting for other users to upload what they have to share with others . Now I'm not in any position to dispute their claims of permission but for me this is throwing up red flags , Especially after recent events . I have quite a lot of Genesteals payware content installed which was purchased from the La france en trains website but there's no way I'm uploading it or redistributing it to anyone else .

I thought this would be a data share direct from the original author but apparently he no longer has a computer with his content on . I think at this stage I'd only be happy if Genesteal himself was to post his change of license agreement on the N3V forum under his username (That can be verified with N3V , His last post was back in 2015) .

From their website :

We are delighted to announce that we recieved an email from the former French content creator "Genesteal" announcing that he would like to relicense all his former payware content under a Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial 2.0 license (CC BY-NC 2.0). In a nutshell this means that users are free to carry out the following:
Redistribute
Provided that the following terms are adhered to.
Attribution: The author must be credited for the original works.
NonCommercial: The content may not be charged for under any circumstances.
More information about the license terms can be found here:
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/

He claims that he would re-host the content himself but due to his domain being taken over and that he no longer has a computer with his content on he asked us to ask for people to step up and submit any content they may have of his to us. The Trainz Abandonware Project. Information about submissions may be found here.
If you have doubts about the truthfulness of this announcement then feel free to contact us for verification and we will be happy to send proof
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
ScottAS2
Past 100!
Trainz Build: 95078
Author KUID: 306203

Post by ScottAS2 »

Nexusdj wrote:The website owners are waiting for other users to upload what they have to share with others . Now I'm not in any position to dispute their claims of permission but for me this is throwing up red flags , Especially after recent events . I have quite a lot of Genesteals payware content installed which was purchased from the La france en trains website but there's no way I'm uploading it or redistributing it to anyone else .
Yes, the more I look into this, the more suspicious I get. The website solicits "abandonware", which (frustrating as it may be sometimes) is alien to copyright law. The Trains et Trainz forum seems a little skeptical (in French), and refers to a "warning" posted to the Trainz et Compagnie forum, which unfortunately went down just as I went to search for the warning. I also wasn't able to find anything about the topic on the N3V forum.

Given all that, I'm not going to share the FET stuff I have until we get much better evidence that Genesteal has given permission.