T:ANE SP3

cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

T:ANE SP3

Post by cyberdonblue »

OK, so can anyone tell me what's going on here?

This is a brand new TransDEM route with very few things in place other than Protrack.

The only thing I've done to it is to start sorting out track levels and refine the geographical contours of the land.

Now, however, following a mysterious CTD, I have massive chunks missing from my baseboards. Fortunately, these amputations (or whatever they are) haven't interfered with anything beneath the actual TransDEM map as yet and can be trimmed off in the long run without harming the actual route. I'm worried though in case it spreads to the map area as well. Even though it's a brand new route, I've already invested a considerable number of hours in getting it ready to be worked on properly.

Has anybody ever experienced anything similar or have any idea what's going on? I haven't put a bug report in as yet because I'd like to know what some of you fellers think before I do. Have I done something to corrupt the TransDEM information? Can it be repaired? Any thoughts and ideas will be received with interest.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Re: T:ANE SP3

Post by clam1952 »

That's weird, doubt it's repairable other than maybe set up a second route using the dem delete the bits that OK in the faulty one, then delete the faulty bits in the faulty one and merge the bits from the second one to replace the deleted bits, probably take forever unless you can run on 2 PC's so you can see both routes, easier to create a patch then and use bits of it to patch the faulty grid squares. I had to partially do this on my FR route when I deleted the wrong bit without realising for a few weeks!

Probably caused by the CTD which corrupted the route, however, I have had issues in previous beta where various squares got flattened out, that at the time was a bug.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

I had a look at "the other place" a while ago Malc and I see that some people are reporting a CTD when zooming in/out in Surveyor. That's exactly what caused my CTD. It happened to me previously too when zooming in (in Surveyor) but with no apparent damage as a result. It's random and occurs when it wants but always during zooming in or out in Surveyor. If it's going to wreck my route everytime there's no point trying to make any progress really, is there? I daren't open my Marylebone route.

Cheers

Dave
robd
Past 100!
Trainz Build: 122418
Author KUID: 345264

Post by robd »

Hi Dave,

I'm not seeing any of these weird types of phenomena occuring in my fledgling TransDEM routes in T:ANE SP3 surveyor, I'm happy to report !

Please, excuse my ignorance but what is this 'CTD' that's being refered to, what does CTD mean ?

I wish folk would elucidate on such vague acronyms at the begining of their posts, or refrain from using them ! - Rant over !

Thanks,

Rob.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

:lol: Sorry Rob, I've gotten so used to seeing that phrase used on Trainz sites that I've started using it myself (even though I'm far from being a techy, as you know.) It's just laziness that we Brits have copied from across the pond, I suppose. CTD simply means "Crash To Desktop."

I'm going to post my original post in "the other place" and see what reaction I get. I suspect Uncle Tony might be on my case sooner rather than later. He can be quite sensitive about T:ANE sometimes. Anyway, off I go... ;)

Cheers

Dave :D
robd
Past 100!
Trainz Build: 122418
Author KUID: 345264

Post by robd »

Thanks and sorry about the rant, Dave. I have seen it before now but it just slipped my mind as to its meaning !

Thankfully, as I have said, this hasn't happened to me yet in T:ANE SP3 surveyor. Having said that, due to the hot weather here in Cheshire at the moment I've not done a lot of route building recently.

Good luck with Tony ! :lol:

Rob.
clam1952
Forum Veteran

Post by clam1952 »

@ Dave
All my Transdem stuff is fine in SP3 and not seen any signs of a problem zooming here........ yet.
Cheers

Malc

cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

robd wrote:Thanks and sorry about the rant, Dave....
:lol: :lol: No worries Rob. I know exactly what you must've felt. There have been times where I've spent more time Googling some of these abbreviations than I have reading posts. Very frustrating at times.

@ Malc: Having seen some of the problems reported in "the other place" Malc, I'm wondering if Protrack (in particular Andi's) might be behind some of the "difficulties?" Any thoughts?

Cheers

Dave
clam1952
Forum Veteran

Post by clam1952 »

cyberdonblue wrote:
@ Malc: Having seen some of the problems reported in "the other place" Malc, I'm wondering if Protrack (in particular Andi's) might be behind some of the "difficulties?" Any thoughts?

Cheers

Dave
It might be however it's only 3rd and 4th rail tracks of Andi's that are actually showing as faulty.
However I've fixed Andi's 3 and 4 rail stuff here today and requested that it's put on the repair list so I can get it uploaded under Andi's kuid, fingers crossed!
Cheers

Malc

cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Thanks Malc. As you know, I've had some trouble with Andi's 3rd and 4th rail stuff in my Aylesbury route but that's more to do with end caps than anything else. Nice to see someone putting things right for us though. Thanks again.

I'm not sure what N3V are actually up to but they seem to be breaking a few things again lately that worked OK previously. I'm thoroughly impressed with what I've seen of Trainz 2019 but I can't help wondering about what's going to be obsoleted and how much damage it is likely to do to the assets that we already have. Seems like something that comes with the territory with N3V these days but the worst part about it is that they don't seem to give a toss. It feels a bit like watching a dog chasing its tail. Round and round in circles with no end result.

I have to confess to being totally disillusioned at the moment. I'm having a break from actually doing anything in Trainz for a few days to try and get my mojo back and then I'll assess my options. On top of the Protrack difficulties, having a brand new route cave in on me within a few days has totally disheartened me.

Cheers

Dave