Moving content

Aunty Acid
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE
Trainz Build: 0

Moving content

Post by Aunty Acid »

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a new laptop (my current laptop has issues with sound and USB jacks), and I wonder how to install TANE onto my new laptop and keep the content I have downloaded/made.

If it helps, I downloaded TANE over Steam, and the laptop I am considering getting is an HP Stream 11 with Windows 10; my current laptop is a Dell Latitude E5430.

Cheers,
Carol

PS: I don't mean to discourage anyone from buying my current model of laptop - the issues with it were entirely my fault (I was an idiot, and misread a manual on how to change the C drive while drunk on cheap gin).
Thanks,

Carol Stott.

Yes, freedom is good, but arguably, grammar is better.

~ Andy Zaltzman
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Re: Moving content

Post by Mightyena »

Ignoring the fact that I would be extremely surprised if TANE ran acceptably on the sucktastic Atom-based Celeron in the Stream, you can transfer content in a number of ways.

Option 1:
In your old laptop, go into content manager and export everything you want to keep as a CDP (only bother with stuff that's "modified". Stuff that's "installed from DLS" would be better to have TANE redownload), then copy the CDP file(s) over to the new computer and install them.

+ Fine control over which assets you want to transfer

Option 2:
plug your old hard drive into the new laptop, and in the TANE Content Manager, hit File> Import Content Folder, and browse to your old Trainz installation. This will probably be in C:\Users\<Username>\AppDataLocal\N3V Games\TANE\Userdata\original for TANE, and <wherever you installed Trainz>\UserData\Original for any older versions. Again, only import the "original" folder, as that contains items locally modified, and not stuff downloaded from the DLS (those go in "local").

+ Fairly straightforward
- Can only import everything this way, can't pick and choose assets
James M, creator of the
network
Aunty Acid
Past 100!

Post by Aunty Acid »

Cheers. This really helps. CDPs seem to install quicker on my copy (dunno if it's to do with my laptop or the game itself.)

My new laptop is mainly for my uni work, so I'm not too fussed if TANE is a bit slow. As a student, I'm broke, so I'm kinda used to Trainz running on a crummy computer :D

Thanks again.
Thanks,

Carol Stott.

~ Andy Zaltzman
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

And HP Stream only has a 64GB eMMC not a decent sized hard drive, not enough room to install much let alone Trainz, 2GB of Ram on most of them which is not upgradable and will barely run win10 and the graphics on a Celeron are about as bad as you can get and no use for games and only has Windows10s. Suitable for browsing the Web MS office 365 and maybe streaming video and games but not a lot of use for games that require install on a hard drive.

What have you got at the moment? as with these cheap low spec things, you may be downgrading by buying new!
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Aunty Acid
Past 100!

Post by Aunty Acid »

Hi Malc,

As mentioned in the above post, I have a Dell Latitude E5430, but I'm getting rid of it due to it being impractical to move about, especially now that things are opening up and I'll need to move it between my flat, the library and class; plus a few of the USB ports and sound jacks are done for. I have my eye on other things, but I can't really afford above 100 pounds, as I also need to get a new phone. However, I do have a 1TB external hard drive that I can either attach via USB or straight-up swap out. Plus I am looking at a few other laptops that have bigger internal hard drives, all I'm looking for is for it to be cheap and light (I have issues with my back, so lightness is pretty crucial).

As I said, I'm not too fussed about the speed Trainz runs, as I am used to it being slow. Besides, gaming is not really my top priority at the moment, with my dissertation and exams fast approaching (oh, look at that, it just became real :shock: ). All I really wanted to know is how to move stuff over to the new laptop, which James was a great help with.

However, thanks for warning me. Who knows if the hell of online learning will come back, in which case I will need a competent laptop - not to mention sound - at the very least.

Cheers all x
Thanks,

Carol Stott.

~ Andy Zaltzman
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Might do better by looking at refurbished laptops.
Latitudes do tend to be a bit on the heavy side!
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Aunty Acid
Past 100!

Post by Aunty Acid »

clam1952 wrote:Might do better by looking at refurbished laptops.
Hi,

As said above, that is one of the reasons I'm getting rid of it x
Thanks,

Carol Stott.

~ Andy Zaltzman
Aunty Acid
Past 100!

Post by Aunty Acid »

clam1952 wrote:Might do better by looking at refurbished laptops.
Sorry about the briefness of my last post - I was in a rush.

The Latitude - my current laptop - was originally bought for my Grandad, so he could have a computer downstairs; it was never really meant to be moved that much. However, since he died a couple of years ago, he hasn't used it much, so I took it to uni, as I needed one for essays.
Thanks,

Carol Stott.

~ Andy Zaltzman
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

I second the opinion to have a look at used hardware. That Latitude came with an Ivy Bridge-M processor, so is probably actually faster than the stream you're looking at. Adding to the fact the non upgradable 2GB RAM (which is really what I'd call pathetically little these days. I'd say 4GB is low, and 8 is where you want to be), and the non-upgradable 64GB storage (of which Windows will take up about 40% on its own), and the stream just looks like a terrible deal.

On a side note about portability, I remember lugging my old 15" T61p around to school everyday. That lattitude looks positively pocket-sized! *puts cane and glasses away*
James M, creator of the
network