TRS19 crashes during database repair

Giac425
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: TRS19
Author KUID: 857354

TRS19 crashes during database repair

Post by Giac425 »

Hello all,

So I recently had to perform a database repair on my copy of TRS19 but every time I do this, the repair doesn't finish and the launcher (along with the database repair) closes completely unprompted during the "scanning for faulty assets" part of the repair. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling TRS19 to see if this makes a difference, but the problem has continued to persist, and obviously since I've reinstalled Trainz, I can't launch the game without the database repair being performed.
I was wondering if anyone might have had this problem as well, or if there are any problems that might be causing this? I have a lot of content installed from the DLS and third parties but I can't see how a large amount of content would cause this issue, since it's only been a problem very recently. Would it be worth going through folders like the backup folder and deleting some of the older backups on there? I don't want to touch the content folders until I can get a definitive answer because I don't want to inadvertently delete any assets that may not be available anymore, or any of my routes which I've spent quite a lot of time working on.

If anyone can give me any pointers I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers.
This train has been delayed due to a high number of polys.
SnakeLight64
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TRS2019/2022
Trainz Build: 0
Author KUID: 563140

Re: TRS19 crashes during database repair

Post by SnakeLight64 »

Hi Giac425,

I've had something similar in the past but with a different game.

It seems something in the database is causing the crash, when you reinstalled Trainz did you point it to your old database or a new database? If you pointed it to your old, try a new database to see if Trainz passes the initial repair.

If the above doesn't work, this is my usual method of reinstalling: uninstall the program (Trainz in this case). Restart your PC, run Disk Cleanup (See below), Restart your PC, then reinstall Trainz.

Disk Cleanup - I do this every time I uninstall a program or when Windows does an update. I find it helps keep Windows in check.
Right click on your "C" drive, then head to "Properties" and then click on "Disk Clean-up" a new window will appear, click on "Clean up system files".
Select allbut your Downloads and Recycle Bin and run the cleanup, that should get rid of any temp files which Trainz may/may not of stored.

Some other things to check:
Make sure you have enough space on your HDD/SSD.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Reece
Giac425
Milepost 3

Post by Giac425 »

Thanks Reece, I'll give this a try tomorrow and let you know if I have any success with it. :)

If I have to do the disk cleanup, I've set up my Trainz database on my New Volume (D) drive, since this is the drive with most space. Should I run a cleanup on this drive as well or is it just the C drive where the temp files are stored?

Regards,

Giacomo.
SnakeLight64
Past 250!

Post by SnakeLight64 »

No worries Giac, always happy to help when possible.

Just run it on your C drive, you can run on D but it'll only show Recycle Bin in most cases, and possibly a Directx cache.

Fingers crossed!

Reece
Giac425
Milepost 3

Post by Giac425 »

So I've just performed the database repair with a new database, and Trainz has passed the repair without crashing, so it's obviously something in my old database on my D drive which is causing the crash.
Obviously I want to keep my old database because it has routes on it that I've put a lot of time and effort into, so I want to find out what exactly is in my old database that's causing Trainz to crash. What is the best step for me to take from here? Like I said there are a lot of assets that I've downloaded over the years, although why the amount of content I have would cause Trainz to crash I don't know because this has only been a problem for the past few days.

Cheers,

Giac.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

First place to look is at anything downloaded just before the crashing started.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
SnakeLight64
Past 250!

Post by SnakeLight64 »

At least we know what the issue is here.

With getting your content back, might be worth trying to point Trainz to the old database and see if it opens up, if you can get in, delete the last thing you had downloaded/created, what clam said, usually is the root cause of anything like this. Or if you want to play safe, try and get your most important creations off by saving as CDP, try to not include your last downloaded/created thing.

I'm happy to do a remote connection (TeamViewer) if you are happy for me to do so, I'll be able to help Saturday evening/all day Sunday.

Regards,

Reece
Giac425
Milepost 3

Post by Giac425 »

Good morning all,

Apologies for my radio silence, I had a few things come up in my personal life which took priority of this.

The good news is that I spent yesterday going through my database, what I ended up doing is creating a new content folder and initially transferring all of my assets which had been previously open for edit into the new database and going through those. I deleted all the obsolete assets and then went through a lot of faulty assets, fixing the ones I could fix and deleting the rest. The good news is that doing that means that after transferring the bulk of the rest of my content into the new folder, the database repair no longer crashes.

I don't know if it'll crash again once I've got the rest of my content in the new folder, but under the assumption I don't have any problems going forward I can conclude that I either fixed/deleted the asset(s) that caused the crash, or the crash was just the result of the sheer number of faulty assets I had. I'm gonna go through some more faulty assets and generally clean up my database a little bit now, and hopefully that'll stop this from happening again.

Cheers. :)
SnakeLight64
Past 250!

Post by SnakeLight64 »

Hi Giac,

No need to apologize, personal life first.

Glad you got somewhere with the database. Hopefully it'll be sorted and you get all files back :)

Reece