Eurostar

Locos, DMUs, EMUs, Carriages etc.
bird_d00
Past 100!
Trainz Version: UTC,TRS2004, TRS2006
Author KUID: 338848

Eurostar

Post by bird_d00 »

Some of you may have spotted this one in the screenshots forum already. It was suggested that 'somebody' should convert the Eurostar model on the Sketchup Warehouse into Trainz. Being somebody, I foolishly decided to try my hand at it. Despite there being 5 seperate models, conversion proceeded fairly rapidly, and I have all of them now in Trainz.

There are a couple of issues however. Firstly all the panel lines have disappeared (being removed automatically in the conversion process because in Sketchup they were done as zero width lines). The most important issue however is performance. To get the speed, I used the TGV enginespec (after all they are pretty fast aren't they), but the damned thing behaves like a slug on valium and wouldn't exceed 27mph downhill ! Tried the same engine spec applied to all 4 power trailers also - now we can get up to 31mph. Finally rewrote the enginespec with the power up by a factor of 10, and still it can't manage more than 51mph.

These problems are all in cab mode - DCC mode seems fine. I have checked the figures against Bob Pearsons spreadsheet, and if anything it is now overpowered, but still no performance. I have now spent nearly as much time trying to sort this as doing the conversion itself. Has anybody any idea what may be going on here ?

Dave Bird
Last edited by bird_d00 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glbotu
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 2004,2010,2012
Author KUID: 181246

Re: Eurostar

Post by glbotu »

What's the mass in the config file?
bird_d00
Past 100!

Post by bird_d00 »

The cab mode problems were caused by me expecting there to be only 8 throttle steps like just about everything else I've driven in Trainz - shows how often I use cab mode. Some of the panel lines now re-instated, and the beast has now been uploaded to TPR (for the second time - don't ask).

Dave Bird
Last edited by bird_d00 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dannypenguin
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS2006, TS2009 SP4
Trainz Build: 44653
Author KUID: 73387

Post by Dannypenguin »

I don't mean to be a buzzkill or anything but I presume you got permission from the original sketchup model creator? I know someone who didn't with a boat for a boat simulator and got few stern words thrown his way... :roll:
Dan W
aka Dannypenguin

"Who says I can't derail my train there?"
bird_d00
Past 100!

Post by bird_d00 »

Please read the terms and conditions of submision to the Trimble Sketchup Warehouse :

Rights granted to other end users of the Services. You give other end users of the Services a perpetual, sublicensable, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute Existing Geolocated Models, Existing Non-Geolocated Models, New Models and related content and derivative works thereof which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.

QED

Dave Bird
Dannypenguin
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS2006, TS2009 SP4
Trainz Build: 44653
Author KUID: 73387

Post by Dannypenguin »

bird_d00 wrote:Please read the terms and conditions of submision to the Trimble Sketchup Warehouse :

Rights granted to other end users of the Services. You give other end users of the Services a perpetual, sublicensable, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute Existing Geolocated Models, Existing Non-Geolocated Models, New Models and related content and derivative works thereof which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.

QED

Dave Bird
No problem, I have always understood you needed permission, but that changes everything. :)
Dan W
aka Dannypenguin

"Who says I can't derail my train there?"
nathanmallard
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: 2010

Post by nathanmallard »

Bird_d00:
This is wayyy off topic but would you be interested in exporting a few of my Blackpool trams to Trainz, on the one condition that they are uploaded to the download station once finished?
Here's some screenies:
Understandably, some of them need resizing and detailing but if you are interested in taking any of these on please get in touch.
Thanks
bird_d00
Past 100!

Post by bird_d00 »

nathanmallard wrote:Bird_d00:
This is wayyy off topic but would you be interested in exporting a few of my Blackpool trams to Trainz, on the one condition that they are uploaded to the download station once finished?
In a word - NO.

I have quite enough projects of my own, and certainly wouldn't tie myself into uploading anything to the DLS for the 'privilege' of doing someone else's work for them.

If you want to have a go at converting Sketchup models yourself, try the tutorial on my website, which should go into enough detail even for a beginner (at least for scenery objects).

Dave Bird
nathanmallard
Milepost 3

Post by nathanmallard »

OK, but a simple "Unfortunately I cannot take on any more projects at the moment..." would of been nice.
bird_d00
Past 100!

Post by bird_d00 »

Well if you come up with totally off-topic requests what did you reasonably expect ? It's bad enough that you want me to work for you for free, but you then expect to be able to dictate terms as well ! If you wish to engage me on a professional basis, then this forum is not the correct approach.

Dave Bird
patrickalanbooth
Past 100!

Post by patrickalanbooth »

I agree with Nathan, he wasn't rude at all and he did say he was off topic so why was there the need to be rude back? and he just said converting he didn't go into weather it would be payed or not so why should the need on these forums for all members to be polite have to be forgotten?
thanks
Patrick
bird_d00
Past 100!

Post by bird_d00 »

Being an off topic gime pig IS rude. There is a seperate forum for requests - this isn't it.

Dave Bird
Past 500!
Trainz Version: 12, TANE
Trainz Build: 74702
Author KUID: 431172

Post by 73129 »

Come on guys, really?
tommietomato2 on Auran forums
Retired moderator.
nathanmallard
Milepost 3

Post by nathanmallard »

Gimme pig? Rude? I was just asking if you could do me a favour. I worded my post as politely as I possibly could, and I was expecting a equally polite reply, whether you were going to convert them or not. And you are not "working" for me either. I've done the hardest part - making the model - I was just asking if you convert them, send them back and I would tweak and upload them. I was never rude. If I was trying to be rude, I would of said something like "Pls can u get this model tram working in Trainz 4 me coz I don't no how and can u pay me 20 pound 4 it?".
jack24
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 2.6
Trainz Build: 3337

Post by jack24 »

Going back to the original topic..............I really like the eurostar Dave but i just thought it was strange it had both sets of lights on both front and rear although it doesn't really bother me.
Jack24
The canary