Major changes to Flickr

Post all your Photos and Videos of railways and trains here.
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Major changes to Flickr

Post by Nexusdj »

For those of us who use the free version of Flickr it's not good news I'm afraid , New owners Smugmug are making major changes :

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/1/1805 ... on-smugmug

In a nutshell those with free accounts will be limited to a maximum of 1000 photos on your account , any over that by the 5th February 2019 will see their oldest images deleted by Flickr until your account has 1000 left .

I've not seen any info yet on 3rd party hosting but I bet it will effect those such as myself who post screenshots on forums .

Upgrading to a pro account (i.e pay) removes the 1000 limit which becomes unlimited with uploaded video quality improved and improved to a maximum of 10 minutes for each video .

They are offering until the 30th November 2018 a 30% discount off the first year of Pro Flickr (current full price $49.99) .

From the Flickr main page :

*Free members with more than 1,000 photos or videos uploaded to Flickr have until Tuesday, January 8, 2019, to upgrade to Pro or download content over the limit. After January 8, 2019, members over the limit will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr. After February 5, 2019, free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos or videos will have content actively deleted -- starting from oldest to newest date uploaded -- to meet the new limit.
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Re: Major changes to Flickr

Post by clam1952 »

That's more than Image Shack which I subscribe to at $3.15 per month, I pay yearly.

The days of free anything are rapidly vanishing so I opted to subscribe rather than keep moving sites, still got a Flikr account as well, just haven't used it for a long time, prefer Image Shacks format.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

With the current 30% discount it works out roughly at £26-ish for the first 12 months . I'm going to wait to see if a backlash develops and they have a rethink or at least reduce the Pro price further .

Given the huge amount of Railway images on Flickr I hope we aren't heading for another Fotopic type disaster , I can remember the dark days/months that followed the closure of Fotopic and the huge amount of railway based images that where lost .
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
Dean_Forest
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TS12 + S&C

Post by Dean_Forest »

Likewise, old threads are now full of "please upgrade your photobucket account" placeholders.
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Post by klambert »

When flickr went over to Smugmug, I did wonder how long it'd be before we lost the free 1tb of space.

At the moment I've been using flickr as a cloud photo backup, most of my photos dating back to 2008 have been stored on there, most are not publically viewable.

Hmm may give them the elbow if they're going to be like that, move over to Microsoft one-drive, or see if I can setup my own private server, or even my own online hosting
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

I wouldn't trust anything online to be safe! Mine are backed up locally to an external drive, second PC and copied to DVDs.
Never going to trust online storage and especially never One Drive after Microsoft's File deleting October Feature update, deleted files on PC then apparently for some unfortunates also deleted them on One Drive as it synchronised.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Warbo40
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TS2012 (SP1)/S&C
Trainz Build: 57898
Author KUID: 441222

Post by Warbo40 »

I've deleted all my photos on principal as i'm in the belief that why should i start paying for something which i used to get for free. I can understand if they'd reduced the free limit to maybe say 250GB as even though i had 21,000+ photos on the site i'd only used 8% of the free 1TB storage.
Work to live not live to work.
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Post by klambert »

clam1952 wrote:I wouldn't trust anything online to be safe! Mine are backed up locally to an external drive, second PC and copied to DVDs.
Never going to trust online storage and especially never One Drive after Microsoft's File deleting October Feature update, deleted files on PC then apparently for some unfortunates also deleted them on One Drive as it synchronised.
Mine are all backed up on external storage as well. However its nice to have a 3rd option in case my hardware completely dies.
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!