What DLC would we like in TRS22?

General Trainz discussion and questions.
paulsw2
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123801
Author KUID: 234086

What DLC would we like in TRS22?

Post by paulsw2 »

Hi everyone, I've just posted this in the main N3V forums:
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthr ... ost1906282

The post was motivated by my frustration that N3V appear to have commissioned a class 11 shunter, from a clearly gifted creator, without rhyme or reason, or any recourse to this community. Did anyone ask for a class 11 shunter? Meanwhile, we haven't had a new class 08 model for 20 years! The same creator has issued a new class 47, which is bundled into a completely niche version of the game, such that hardly anyone has seen it. I now have a full year's subscription to Trainz Gold and I can't access it! Nor the new Mk1 carriages.

Underpinning all of these frustrations is the sense that N3V are not undertaking any market research or consultation about what the UK Trainz community would like to see in the form of DLC. This makes no commercial sense! I'm aware that my DLC priorities - Mk1, early Mk2, class 20, class 25, class 101 and class 114 DMUs - may not be those of this community, but should we not at least demand that N3V engage in some consultation before commissioning new models?

If you agree, please join above the thread at the N3V forum and make your voices heard!

Also, perhaps we should have a poll on this forum - which the Mods could set up - to see which is the most popular loco and rolling stock DLC requests so we could pass that on to N3V? We need to assert ourselves!

Paul
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Re: What DLC would we like in TRS22?

Post by Briggsy »

I agree that the choices seem a little baffling considering the models that are being built are available already in Trainz.

We don't need a Class 47 - the existing models are already great quality and come in numerous liveries with different body modifications too.

We don't need a HST - there are numerous versions available, plus NexusDJ is already working on an excellent model complete with accompanying MK3 coaches with interiors.

We don't need a Class 153 either. Marky created an excellent Class 153 recently with interiors too.

We don't need MK1 coaches - there are already some excellent Mk1's (also with interiors) available too.

It would have been more beneficial to produce content that people have been wanting for years - such as Mk2/2a/2b/2c coaches. Perhaps some first generation EMU's such as the Class 303 or 309. Maybe up to date models of the Class 20's, Class 89, etc with interiors and drivers. I totally agree with a Class 101 DMU too. I'd love to see one of those in Trainz.

Even some new modern cabs for existing / older models would have been great just to freshen them up and bring them in line with modern gaming standards / GPU capabilities.

Here's another crazy idea too - why not actually finish a version of Trainz before releasing another. Trainz 2022 is the priority now - so no doubt we'll see a slowdown of fixes for Trainz 2019, or they'll do their usual thing of never finishing at all - as per previous versions.
Marky7890
Site Admin
Trainz Version: TRS2019
Trainz Build: 90945
Author KUID: 179051

Post by Marky7890 »

I think the reason for the MK1 coaches, 47 and 153 were built was specifically for my Liskeard to Looe route. The 153 being a regular traction on the line until they GWR a couple of years ago, with 150s in high summer.
The 47 and MK1 coaches worked a railtour in February 2019 down to Looe which being included adds some variety.

Mark
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Not baffling when you consider these are now PBR versions.
I'd take a guess that the class 11 is destined for some DLC route maybe preservation based, there's one on the Severn Valley for example.
The creator is Russian so presumably is getting some assistance from over here.
It hasn't actually been released yet in TRS22 other than appearing on the launch screen along with the also unreleased Tornado which appears to only be available for Android and iPad at present.
The 47 and MK1 carriages are for TRS22, if you have Gold Plus you can install the TRS22 Beta and download Marks new version of the Looe route which includes them.
The 47 and carriages seem to be a collaborative effort between ILIOSIN and GDennish and are PBR models.

The only way to find out what's going on or in the pipeline would be to sign up to beta test DLC, which is Pre the Gold Preview and presumably under a non disclosure, as there doesn't seem to be any info being published anywhere.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
stovepipe
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TRS19
Trainz Build: 117009
Author KUID: 368699

Post by stovepipe »

Seem to recall someone was making the SVR on a DEM - was it pilotwoo?

Perhaps it's that, though I was hoping the cl11 was for a grimy industrial route rather than a preservation line. Or maybe Philskene has got something in the pipeline.
paulsw2
Past 250!

Post by paulsw2 »

Thanks for responses. I don't know where we're going to go with this, I guess we'll just have carry on trying to do what we can with what we've got. But there is a real sense of missed opportunities here. :cry:

Paul
pacerguy
Past 250!
Trainz Build: 0

Post by pacerguy »

I would love a Merseyrail DLC with a new 507/8 model and a class 777 model
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

As I posted on the N3V forum re the Class 11, I'd happily pay for most of the new TRS19/22 standard assets but for the fact they all seem to be going into routes, rather than being available individually. I'm lucky enough to have the HST, 170, 220, 221, 357 and 377 (and did have the 47) by snowsignal but even those are starting to show their age now. I'm very happy to part with my beer coupons for most good quality content and have done so for The Other Sim on many occasions.

I'd love to see a good quality 101 or 25, both of which were pretty ubiquitous on BR, a 304/5/8. The recent 37 by SRS, I think, is suitably good quality and has agood cab. I can't recall where that stands with reskins though as there are only the two variants that I'm aware of.

I suppose the argument is a niche item of rolling stock isn't going to get as many sales as the more popular locos, so there should be a market for stock people are most familiar with. The other issue is 'who will pay for it?'. I know I will but I think there are many Trainz users who enjoy the free content and perhaps they are not so willing to stump up a few quid. Without proper research, it's impossible to know. The danger is, if N3V say to UK users 'what would you be willing to buy?' they get irate users saying everything should be free like it used to be. I still have no desire to pay for Trainz membership.

I'm sure N3V have their reasons but it seems like they'd be missing out on additional revenue in not offering newer items as individual DLC.
gds
Milepost 7
Trainz Version: TS12/TANE
Author KUID: 181684

Post by gds »

Technology has moved on a lot and I believe to grow the user base of Trainz, a fresh start will be required with everything including rolling stock and scenery produced using the newer techniques and technologies. There's more involved in producing this content, so it less likely to be achieved at any sort of pace by the hobbyist in their free time, but it is what it is.

I think it is a chicken and egg situation. Users won't come to the platform until there is sufficient content, and people won't want to produce content until there are sufficient customers to make it viable.

If it were me I would be starting with the most iconic trains with the widest reach - HST, 47s, maybe 66s, 800s and things that younger users may find appealing. This would need a route to go with it that has 100% new content and looks the bee's knees in the promo material.
paulsw2
Past 250!

Post by paulsw2 »

I think I agree with that. Start with a clean slate? The frustration is that that we've never had a better game in terms of capabilities, stability and usability (even if the lighting does still need some improvement), but ultimately we have to have some trains to run on it! Ironically, as they improve the game engine, it makes the older content look worse thereby exacerbating the UK content crisis. My preferred period is BR 1970s corporate blue, but I actually spend most of my time now with 1950s steam because of the availability of better models. It's a shame!

Paul
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

My main gripe is that pretty much since T:ANE, the graphics have been absolutely fine. I'd much rather see them fix the glaring problems with the simulation side of things, than add on another heap of shiny eye candy. I know I'm no expert, but I am at least fairly sure that in real life, a class 319 and a mile long American freight train do not handle the same, but try telling that to Trainz...
James M, creator of the
network
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

The procedural track system needs finishing , Diamonds , slips , 3 way points etc. the whole system is half complete , I keep mentioning it every time they have a survey but no joy yet . I mean Microsoft Train simulator came with that feature back in 2001 as did Railworks from it's onset . Then there's the sounds , the physics ....
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
james73
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS2019
Trainz Build: 114800
Author KUID: 69518

Post by james73 »

I think the main issue is there isn't enough top quality UK content creators in Trainz right now.

Look at the quality of USA content, for example - it's light years ahead of available UK content. That's not a criticism (I do my best when I make stuff), it's just a fact. Weight of numbers is against quality UK content.

How we address that, I don't know. I'm fairly certain N3V do not care one iota about the UK market, as long as the money from other territories keeps rolling in.
chrisaw
Milepost 3

Post by chrisaw »

I agree with Nexus,
Chris.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Put bluntly currently our few good UK creators, are are more interested in Steam. Free stuff is mostly what the creator wants to make not what the masses are demanding.
Add to that the transition to FBX and PBR which has rendered of old versions of 3ds max and where still used Gmax as obsolete and a high learning curve for moving to Blender compared to Max or Gmax, Content Creation has got somewhat harder.

It was said that there was going to some kind of feature to enable customised Physics, separate from the builtin stuff, cant find the post for the moment.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/