Can somebody list all the trains that pulled the intercity

General UK Railway Discussion and questions.
rowletmaster
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 0

Can somebody list all the trains that pulled the intercity

Post by rowletmaster »

So i have been wondering for sometime now. Which loco/DMU/EMU has operated as Intercity trains before?
if somebody can list all of them of the year they made/put into service as intercity trains in chronological order?
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Re: Can somebody list all the trains that pulled the interci

Post by Nexusdj »

That's similar to one of those "How long is a piece of string ?" questions . It might be easier to define what time period you where thinking about and maybe even narrow it down further to a specific region or location ?
To cover every time and region from the start of InterCity branding in 1965/6 through to it's phasing out in the early years of privatisation then I'd say most classes of loco , EMU & DMU ! That might sound far fetched but you have to take into account not only booked loco's but also times when trains failed , lines where closed , the catenary was switched off etc. at that point non booked loco's or units could be turned out to run the service or at least get it moving again during times of disruption . Then there's your holiday extra's (Holidaymakers) that ran during the summer months that could see no heat freight loco's or Suburban DMU's having a day trip to the seaside .
Case in point way back in 1989 (yes I'm old!) after a days disruption on parts of the network I turned up at New Street to catch my local train home , Whilst waiting for it to arrive a class 155 sprinter turned up in the next platform and was announced as the next InterCity service to Manchester Piccadilly !! As it was first stop Sandwell and Dudley (Most InterCity services stopped there back then) I decided to jump on for the novelty .
Then you had booked services on a few Sunday's every year from Wolves & New St to Euston that where diverted after New St to Nuneaton due to engineering work on the route via Coventry and for many years the electric loco plus train where diagrammed to be dragged with a class 58 to and from Nuneaton .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/afc45014/ ... 4/sizes/l/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/afc45014/ ... 9/sizes/l/

Then there used to be class 25's diagrammed to work through trains on the Cambrian From Wolves / Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth that where later replaced by 37/4's .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96836395@ ... 7/sizes/l/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137766734 ... 6/sizes/l/

This is literally just a small tip of a very large Iceberg !
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Re: Can somebody list all the trains that pulled the interci

Post by Briggsy »

Yeah as Dave said, it's a huge can of worms - but during the late 80's and early 90's, particularly by the 'Intercity Swallow' livery era, it typically became a bit more 'standardised' - with some ex-Intercity services being swallowed up as part of 'Regional Railways' and being run by multiple units instead of loco-hauled stock.

Typically, across the regions, you could expect to see these as regular Intercity workings.

Intercity 'Gatwick Express': Class 73 hauling Mk2f coaches and an Mk1 'GLV' (converted from Class 414's)

ECML: HST sets. Class 91s hauling Mk4s complete with Mk4 DVT. On the rare occasion it was working, the Class 89 might have been hauling a set too.

WCML (London to the Midlands): Usually a Class 86 with Mk2e / 2f sets (with the exception of an Mk3 'buffet' coach) and an Mk3 DVT - but sometimes a Class 87, and slightly less often, a Class 90.
WCML (London to the North West or Glasgow via the Trent Valley line): Usually an 87 or 90 hauling a Mk3 set and a DVT. HST's on Euston - Holyhead / North Wales services.

The WCML at weekends and peak hours could see Mk3 sets hauled by 87's and 90's on the Midlands section. It wouldn't be too unusual to see the DVT's at the wrong end too after diversions and / or drags.

WCML Sleeper services: Typically a Class 90 (sometimes an 87) hauling MK3 sleepers, Mk2f non-sleeping coaches and Mk1 GUV 'Motorail' vans. Some services would 'split' at Carstairs to become two trains - with part continuing to non-electrified areas such as Fort William or Inverness under diesel power using anything that is available. Usually 47's or 37's.

GWML: HSTs and Class 47-hauled Mk2 / 2e / 2f sets.
GWML Sleepers: 47's hauling Mk3 sleepers, Mk2f non-sleeping coaches and Mk1 GUV 'Motorail' vans.

GEML: Usually 86's with Mk2e / 2f sets and a Mk2 DBSO. 47's occasionally.

MML: HST's

Cross Country: HSTs throughout, Class 47 hauled Mk2d / 2e / 2f sets throughout, or Class 47's south of Birmingham, which would then switch to, usually, a Class 86 (but sometimes an 87 or 90) for electric haulage from Birmingham through to Scotland. Very very occasionally, the loco change would happen at Coventry or Birmingham International. Very late on in the 90's, just prior to privatisation, Class 158's were used for a Birmingham to Manchester Piccadilly Intercity service. They were Intercity branded inside - but kept their original 'Express' livery on the outside.

Prior to being switched to 'Regional Railways' branding, Birmingham to Anglia services were operated by Class 31's with a hybrid of Mk1s and Mk2s (Mk2a, mk2b and Mk2c).

Also prior to being switched to 'Regional Railways' branding, the Summer Saturdays only Intercity Holidaymaker services from Nottingham to Skegness and Derby to Skegness were famed for being operated by Class 20's operating in pairs, triples or, when the run-around sidings were unavailable at Skeggy, even in quads - until their reliability and availability declined considerably. They were then replaced by, usually Class 31s, although the occasional Class 47, 56 or 58 wasn't unknown. Basically, I think it came down to whatever was available at Derby Etches Park or Toton. I wouldn't be too surprised if a 60 covered from time to time - although I've never known such a working myself. Sadly, as time went on, these also became replaced with DMU's (156's usually, but sometimes 158's or 150's).

The 'Skeggy' workings were always popular with enthusiasts because they'd just throw sets together - you could literally see a Class 20 in BRT livery, another in 'Technical Services' livery and another in Large Logo Railfreight livery in one working - hauling various Mk1s and Mk2s in any livery from Blue & Grey, Intercity, Regional Railways, Trans-Pennine, Scotrail, Network SouthEast (yep, in Lincolnshire!), Royal Mail, RES - and even some of the charter coaches in IC livery with the white roofs! I've seen some bizarre combinations on that service.