N3V Forum Offline - Three Days And Counting

General Trainz discussion and questions.
VernM
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: TS2010, TS12 T:ANE
Trainz Build: 96000
Author KUID: 30024

Re: N3V Forum Offline - Three Days And Counting

Post by VernM »

Non premium downloads if anything seem a little faster.

However you would have thought if all is well and nothing of concern is afoot, the message would have been updated with more information.

It does start to give pause as to whether I should continue with layout building in Trainz, or switch to something else.
amigacooke
Milepost 3

Post by amigacooke »

I do wonder if N3V should just bite some bullets and go subscription only, archive the forum and rely on discord.

The Trainz ‘universe’ is confusing, so many different versions on the go at the same time.
VernM
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: TS2010, TS12 T:ANE
Trainz Build: 96000
Author KUID: 30024

Post by VernM »

amigacooke wrote:I do wonder if N3V should just bite some bullets and go subscription only, archive the forum and rely on discord.

The Trainz ‘universe’ is confusing, so many different versions on the go at the same time.
If they went subscription only that would I'm afraid be the end of my involvement with the franchise - I much prefer to own or, well, licence the software outright not a Netflix arrangement that leaves you with nothing when you cancel.

And imagine the outcry from those content with older versions but happy to buy the odd FCT if the DLS was closed off to all but subscribers.

Well anyway, continuing on for now with a couple of layout style routes in TRS22 but watching earnestly to see what develops.
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

VernM wrote:If they went subscription only that would I'm afraid be the end of my involvement with the franchise - I much prefer to own or, well, licence the software outright not a Netflix arrangement that leaves you with nothing when you cancel.

And imagine the outcry from those content with older versions but happy to buy the odd FCT if the DLS was closed off to all but subscribers.

Well anyway, continuing on for now with a couple of layout style routes in TRS22 but watching earnestly to see what develops.
Yep same here. N3V aren't particularly in my good books anyway, pulling a "pay us constantly or lose access to all your work" would make me reevaluate whether it's worth sticking with Trainz at all.

It does make my mind go back to TANE's launch, wasn't there a DRM free version of it at one point? Maybe I should chase down a copy just in case
James M, creator of the
network
PerRock
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: TANE
Trainz Build: 3
Author KUID: 104609

Post by PerRock »

Mightyena wrote:
VernM wrote:If they went subscription only that would I'm afraid be the end of my involvement with the franchise - I much prefer to own or, well, licence the software outright not a Netflix arrangement that leaves you with nothing when you cancel.

Yep same here. N3V aren't particularly in my good books anyway, pulling a "pay us constantly or lose access to all your work" would make me reevaluate whether it's worth sticking with Trainz at all.

It does make my mind go back to TANE's launch, wasn't there a DRM free version of it at one point? Maybe I should chase down a copy just in case
It was a special version of the physical DVDs that you had to pre-order/support in their Kickstarter to get.
re57k
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: 12
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 947449

Post by re57k »

Pack your bags everyone, the forums are back now.

Zec had this to announce in the Discord server:
Hi Everyone
We're thrilled to announce the launch of a state-of-the-art Trainz forum. Built with enhanced performance, improved mobile experience, better spam protections, modern interface, better integration with other Trainz services and more features, it's designed to grow in tandem with our expanding community. But rest assured, this is just the inaugural phase! As we roll out these revamped Trainz forums, we've ensured a seamless transfer of all existing user data and accounts – a priority for us. While the interface may appear reminiscent of the old forums, underneath lies a plethora of new technological features and capabilities, including the potential for more Trainz integration than before.

Our move to the new platform marks a new chapter, and we're eager to hear your thoughts on this fresh experience. Dive in, explore, and do share your feedback. Keep an eye out for more updates as we refine and enrich our forum software.

For those who have not visited the Trainz Forums before, you can access them by going to https://forums.auran.com/
Also, before you log-in, delete your cookies / cache for auran.com so that you can log-in, otherwise the log-in page will appear blank.
The re in re57k stands for reverie. No idea why I had to shorten it but now you know.
NOTICE: Speed is limited to 25 mph due to overlapping track geometry
Spends too much time staring at polygons. I model using Blender. If you have any questions, feel free to ask/reply!
robd
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 122418
Author KUID: 345264

Post by robd »

Just now logged in and posted a couple of times. I'm not keen on the 'portrait' layout but I suppose I'll get use to it, hopefully N3V may inform us of a way to stretch it out to 'landscape' format :D

Rob.
PerRock
Milepost 5

Post by PerRock »

robd wrote:Just now logged in and posted a couple of times. I'm not keen on the 'portrait' layout but I suppose I'll get use to it, hopefully N3V may inform us of a way to stretch it out to 'landscape' format :D

Rob.
Another board I'm part of uses the same forum software & while theirs are wider, there is still a hard limit. So landscape is probably out of the question, unless you want to tweak the css by hand every time (there are browser plugins that do that if you really want). I'm kind of surprised they went with XenForo... not exactly the software I would choose as being "state-of-the-art".

Peter
robd
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 122418
Author KUID: 345264

Post by robd »

PerRock wrote: ...So landscape is probably out of the question, unless you want to tweak the css by hand every time (there are browser plugins that do that if you really want)...
Peter
I don't think I'll want to bother with that, sounds like a real arcane process!

I suppose I'll eventually manage to navigate my way around the forums and get use to it... over the next few years :?

Rob.

Edit: Appears to have gone landscape now.
davies_mike57
Milepost 7
Trainz Version: 12 SP1
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 102457

Post by davies_mike57 »

Hi British Trainz people have not been on this site for a long while.

Just curious what is happening to the N3V Trainz Forum, when jumping to site get this message "404 Not Found".
Must be a lot of maintenance going on for the duration offline.

Would be nice if they could make the forum a bit like Facebook where one can add an ID photo to the account.
One can like or dislike a Trainz Forum comment just like Facebook.
Maybe the ability to post pictured articles (direct picture) on the site.
There is room for improvement to the service, if members request them.

Anyway this DLS download speed thingy is a bit of a problem these days.
Suggest that if one purchases an add on layout and session package from the Trainz DLS store there should be an allowable FCT high speed download data access bonus (say for two days) so that one can update any out of date kuid's that come with a recently purchased package. That would be a lot fairer to N3V Trainz customers.

One still likes the TS12 and TANE products best (for older computers Win 7).
The TRS19 runs well on my Win 10 computer.
I wanted to transfer my TS12 and TANE layouts to the TRS19 product but gave up because of many missing texture text files in older kuid's.
To my conclusion TRS19 is not fully compatible with TS12 or TANE.
Would certainly buy layouts designed and tested for the TRS19

Happy Trainzspotting
Mike Davies
davies_mike57
Milepost 7
Trainz Version: 12 SP1
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 102457

Post by davies_mike57 »

British Trainz members:

The new Trainz Forum web path is found here:

https://forums.auran.com/

Cheers
davies_mike57
PerRock
Milepost 5

Post by PerRock »

davies_mike57 wrote:Hi British Trainz people have not been on this site for a long while.

Just curious what is happening to the N3V Trainz Forum, when jumping to site get this message "404 Not Found".
Must be a lot of maintenance going on for the duration offline.
The new forum uses new software, so old links will not work. https://forums.auran.com/ is the new main URL.
davies_mike57 wrote:Would be nice if they could make the forum a bit like Facebook where one can add an ID photo to the account.
I believe some sort of profile picture changing will be made doable in the future. It may be something you change in MyTrainz rather than on the forums... but we don't know yet.
davies_mike57 wrote:One can like or dislike a Trainz Forum comment just like Facebook.
That is something you can do with the new forums.
davies_mike57 wrote:Maybe the ability to post pictured articles (direct picture) on the site.
Direct hosting of images will never happen. It's a toll on N3V's servers.
davies_mike57 wrote:There is room for improvement to the service, if members request them.
People have been. The three big ones are: Avatars, Signatures, and Owned Trainz Versions.
davies_mike57 wrote:Anyway this DLS download speed thingy is a bit of a problem these days.
Suggest that if one purchases an add on layout and session package from the Trainz DLS store there should be an allowable FCT high speed download data access bonus (say for two days) so that one can update any out of date kuid's that come with a recently purchased package. That would be a lot fairer to N3V Trainz customers.
Purchased DLC content does not use the DLS servers at all & are unaffected by FCT status.